Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rune Flobakk <rf...@online.no> on 2008/09/04 12:31:39 UTC

maven-dependency-plugin 2.0 fails when running eclipse:eclipse

Hello,

On my project we have quite a large codebase separated in several Maven multimodule projects. In one of the parent poms I have configured to use maven-dependency-plugin to verify that we use dependencies appropriately, as described here:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/examples/failing-the-build-on-dependency-analysis-warnings.html

Snippet from our parent pom:
<build>
    <plugin>
    </plugin>
  </plugins>
  <pluginManagement>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <version>2.0</version>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>analyze</id>
            <phase>verify</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>analyze-only</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
              <failOnWarning>true</failOnWarning>
              <ignoreNonCompile>true</ignoreNonCompile>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>
  </pluginManagement>
</build>

When I run any lifecycle phase including verify (e.g. install, deploy) from that parent pom, every child module gets its dependency use checked, and the build fails on violations. All well!

But when I run eclipse:eclipse and specifies a "workspace" pom, which only lists modules from many different projects, some external to this project but still internal to the organization, for some reason Maven seems to do "something" with the maven-dependency-plugin execution config for that one multimodule project. The problem as I understand it, is that the projects involved in the "workspace" pom uses different versions of maven-dependency-plugin, and I see that Maven downloads both 2.0-alpha-4 and 2.0 when I run eclipse:eclipse.

The error message I get from Maven is this:
[INFO] Building project-x
[INFO]    task-segment: [eclipse:eclipse]
[INFO] Preparing eclipse:eclipse
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] 'analyze-only' was specified in an execution, but not found in the plugin

When building project-x on its own, everything is OK. So why does Maven get confused on which plugin version it should use when the project-x is included as one of many modules of a super-super-pom?

Sorry for a very verbose mail, I hope it's possible to understand the problem. Thanks in advance for any help :)

Regards,
Rune Flobakk

Re: Jboss ESB and Maven - success!!

Posted by Scott Ryan <sc...@theryansplace.com>.
http://repository.jboss.com/maven2

should have all the jboss stuff

Scott Ryan
President/CTO
Soaring Eagle L.L.C.
Highlands Ranch, Co. 80129
(303) 263-3044
scott@theryansplace.com
www.soaringeagleco.com

RE: Jboss ESB and Maven

Posted by Lam Hayward <Ha...@lac-bac.gc.ca>.

Re: Jboss ESB and Maven

Posted by Scott Ryan <sc...@theryansplace.com>.

Re: Jboss ESB and Maven

Posted by Scott Ryan <sc...@theryansplace.com>.
try changing the packaging to war and see if you  get a warning about
web.xml when you do mvn install.

Scott Ryan
President/CTO
Soaring Eagle L.L.C.
Highlands Ranch, Co. 80129
(303) 263-3044
scott@theryansplace.com
www.soaringeagleco.com

Re: Jboss ESB and Maven

Posted by Scott Ryan <sc...@theryansplace.com>.

RE: Jboss ESB and Maven

Re: Jboss ESB and Maven

Posted by Scott Ryan <sc...@theryansplace.com>.

RE: Jboss ESB and Maven

Re: Jboss ESB and Maven

Posted by Scott Ryan <sc...@theryansplace.com>.

Jboss ESB and Maven

Re: maven-dependency-plugin 2.0 fails when running eclipse:eclipse

Posted by Rune Flobakk <rf...@online.no>.
Thank you for your reply, Brian!

Yes, that is what I figured as well. The workspace consists of several
projects which does not share the same parent pom (only in the context
of running eclipse:eclipse). So I don't want to be forced to upgrade the
version of the plugin in projects which I decide to include in my
"workspace" pom, when they are really independent projects. It seems a
bit odd that there are som kind of "validating" of the configured
execution goal for the plugin when explicitly running eclipse:eclipse,
since eclipse:eclipse does not actually execute that goal. I have read
that eclipse:eclipse also triggers the generate-resources phase, but
maven-dependency-plugin is bound to the verify phase, much later in the
lifecycle.

Anyway, we worked around the problem by specifying the execution of
dependency:analyze-only in its own profile which is activated by Hudson.
So the dependency check happens on our CI server, but cannot be
triggered in the build by default, since it interferes with the
eclipse:eclipse goal, and people are individually maintaining their own
workspace POMs depending on what artifacts they would like linked up in
Eclipse.

- Rune

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.