Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Sherd Fox <sh...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/21 09:25:30 UTC

questions on these functions

Hello sparkers,

What were the differences for leftFold, rightFold and the fold in RDD
functions?

I am not very clear about the usage of them.

Thanks.

Re: questions on these functions

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Eh, are you talking about foldLeft and foldRight in Scala? those are not
from Hadoop or Spark.
They are common functions in functional languages. They 'fold' a value into
a new value by apply a function to the starting value and every element of
a collection.
Because the op may be non-commutative, doing this left to right or right to
left is different, hence two functions.

Posted by Sherd Fox <sh...@gmail.com>.
sorry I am programming with scala who has these functions.

regards.

Posted by Theodore J Griesenbrock <te...@ibm.com>.