Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mehmet Belgin <me...@oit.gatech.edu> on 2013/02/18 19:00:44 UTC

Using NFS mounted volume for Hadoop installation/configuration

Hi Everyone,

Will it be any problem if I put the hadoop executables and configuration on a NFS volume, which is shared by all masters and slaves? This way the configuration changes will be available for all nodes, without need for synching any files. While this looks almost like a no-brainer, I am wondering if there are any pitfalls I need to be aware of.

On a related question, is there a best practices (do's and don'ts ) document that you can suggest other than the regular documentation by Apache?

Thanks!
-Mehmet

Re: Using NFS mounted volume for Hadoop installation/configuration

Posted by Chen He <ai...@gmail.com>.
Cloudera manager or Zettaset can be a choice if you like easy
configuration. This type of software will do the rysnc for you.

Posted by Chen He <ai...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chen He <ai...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chen He <ai...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mehmet Belgin <me...@oit.gatech.edu>.

Posted by Mehmet Belgin <me...@oit.gatech.edu>.

Posted by Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com>.
I'm also maintaining an experimental Hadoop cluster, and I need to modify the Hadoop source code and test it,

so just use NFS to deploy the latest version of code, no problem found yet

Best,

--
Nan Zhu
School of Computer Science,

Posted by Chen He <ai...@gmail.com>.
To use NFS as datanode fs may bring performance problems. Millions of
requests may block your NFS server.

Posted by Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Embree <ce...@gmail.com>.
Just for clarification, we only use NFS for binaries and config files.
 HDFS and MarpRed write to local disk.  We just don't install an OS there.
:)

Posted by Chris Embree <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Embree <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Embree <ce...@gmail.com>.