Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Casey King <ck...@lovebox.com> on 2005/11/22 15:56:14 UTC

New Spammer?

This morning we have been getting drilled by spam/virus emails.  40 so
far.  Been getting a lot of phone calls from across the company about
these emails.  At least my mailscanner boxes are stripping the files,
and tagging it as spam, but what worries me, is the low scores these
messages are receiving.  I start tagging spam, at 3.5 so each message
has been tagged, but still sent through.  Any one else seeing these
emails?

Header:

From: webmaster@dfa.state.ny.us
To: XPost@lovebox.com
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:41:54 UTC
Subject: Mail delivery failed

Report:

MailScanner: Executable DOS/Windows programs are dangerous in email
(File-packed_da.exe)
Inoculate: File ./jALMiLIS008948/mail_body.zip is infected by virus:
Win32/Sober.W!Worm Inoculate: File
./jALMiLIS008948/mail_body.zip/File-packed_dataInfo.exe/ is infected by
virus: Win32/Sober.W!Worm
ClamAV: mail_body.zip contains Worm.Sober.U

Inoculate: File ./jALMiLIS008948/File-packed_dataInfo.exe is infected by
virus: Win32/Sober.W!Worm ClamAV: File-packed_dataInfo.exe contains
Worm.Sober.U
MailScanner: Executable DOS/Windows programs are dangerous in email
(File-packed_dataInfo.exe)
MailScanner: Executable DOS/Windows programs are dangerous in email
(File-packed_da.exe)
Inoculate: File ./jALMiLIS008948/File-packed_dataInfo.exe is infected by
virus: Win32/Sober.W!Worm
ClamAV: File-packed_dataInfo.exe contains Worm.Sober.U
MailScanner: Executable DOS/Windows programs are dangerous in email
(File-packed_dataInfo.exe)

SpamAssassin Score: 3.85

Spam Report:
	Score	Matching Rule	Description-1.80	ALL_TRUSTED
Did not pass through any untrusted hosts
2.19	INVALID_DATE	Invalid Date: header (not RFC 2822)
0.96	NO_REAL_NAME	From: does not include a real name
0.50	RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100	Razor2 gives confidence level above 50%
1.50	RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E4_51_100
0.50	RAZOR2_CHECK	Listed in Razor2 (http://razor.sf.net/)

/var/log/maillog

Nov 21 16:44:42 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: Saved archive copies of
jALMiUOJ008973 jALMiLIS008948
Nov 21 16:44:52 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: Message jALMiLIS008948
from 12.219.139.163 (webmaster@dfa.state.ny.us) to lovebox.com is spam,
SpamAssassin (score=3.854, required 3, ALL_TRUSTED -1.80, INVALID_DATE
2.19, NO_REAL_NAME 0.96, RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 0.50,
RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E4_51_100 1.50, RAZOR2_CHECK 0.50)
Nov 21 16:44:53 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: Spam Actions: message
jALMiLIS008948 actions are store,deliver,striphtml
Nov 21 16:44:55 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: File
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/21338/./jALMiLIS008948/File-packed_dataI
nfo.exe is infected by virus: Win32/Sober.W!Worm
Nov 21 16:44:55 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: File
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/21338/./jALMiLIS008948/mail_body.zip is
infected by virus: Win32/Sober.W!Worm
Nov 21 16:44:55 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: File
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/21338/./jALMiLIS008948/mail_body.zip<Fil
e-packed_dataInfo.exe> is infected by virus: Win32/Sober.W!Worm
Nov 21 16:44:57 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]:
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/21338/./jALMiLIS008948/File-packed_dataI
nfo.exe: Worm.Sober.U FOUND
Nov 21 16:44:57 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]:
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/21338/./jALMiLIS008948/mail_body.zip:
Worm.Sober.U FOUND
Nov 21 16:44:57 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: Infected message
jALMiLIS008948 came from 12.219.139.163
Nov 21 16:44:57 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: Filename Checks:
Windows/DOS Executable (jALMiLIS008948 File-packed_dataInfo.exe)
Nov 21 16:44:57 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: Filename Checks:
Windows/DOS Executable (jALMiLIS008948 File-packed_dataInfo.exe)
Nov 21 16:44:57 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: Saved entire message to
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20051121/jALMiLIS008948
Nov 21 16:44:57 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: Saved infected
"File-packed_da.exe" to
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20051121/jALMiLIS008948
Nov 21 16:44:57 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: Saved infected
"mail_body.zip" to
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20051121/jALMiLIS008948
Nov 21 16:44:57 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: Saved infected
"File-packed_dataInfo.exe" to
/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20051121/jALMiLIS008948
Nov 21 16:44:57 wks-lin12 MailScanner[21338]: Logging message
jALMiLIS008948 to SQL
Nov 21 16:44:57 wks-lin12 MailScanner[1488]: jALMiLIS008948: Logged to
MailWatch SQL
Nov 21 16:44:58 wks-lin12 sendmail[9046]: jALMiLIS008948: to=dfair,
ctladdr=<eB...@lovebox.com> (8/0), delay=00:00:36, mailer=local,
pri=285904, dsn=5.1.1, stat=User unknown
Nov 21 16:44:58 wks-lin12 sendmail[9046]: jALMiLIS008948:
to=awray@imap.lovebox.com,root@imap.lovebox.com,tprice@imap.lovebox.com,
delay=00:00:36, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=285904,
relay=imap.lovebox.com. [172.16.3.106], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
(jALMiw1A006072 Message accepted for delivery)
Nov 21 16:44:58 wks-lin12 sendmail[9046]: jALMiLIS008948:
jALMivMA009046: DSN: User unknown

Re: New Spammer?

Posted by sa...@nacnud.force9.co.uk.
On Tuesday 22 Nov 2005 14:56, Casey King wrote:
> messages are receiving.  I start tagging spam, at 3.5 so each message
> has been tagged, but still sent through.  Any one else seeing these
> emails?

New Sober outbreak, not spam, virus.

Just junk them totally, stripping is a waste of time for Sober (and most other
W32/* viruses).

Re: New Spammer?

Posted by Menno van Bennekom <mv...@xs4all.nl>.

> Heh, I use the ClamAV plugin for SA and give it a hefty score. That way
> I get the best of both worlds. Creative use of BLs also helps.

Very pleased with ClamAV too, but just ClamAV is not enough for us. The
last hours some virus-types were not recognized by ClamAV, even not with
the most recent database (just submitted the samples to clamav). Luckily
they were catched because we allow only password-protected zip files if
they contain executable files. And we have 4 other virus-scanners on our
exchange-server.
The virus-types change so fast now that ClamAV has difficulty to keep up.

Regards
Menno van Bennekom

Re: New Spammer?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
No problem. I do like to help people when I can given time and knowledge.
If it works you got lucky.

{^_-}
Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
And as it turns out I had an address wrong and had slightly fooed up what
was minimum needed for trusted. It turns out that this setup works just
fine with fetchmail.

trusted_networks 127/8
internal_networks 192.168/16

It appears I was slightly overtrusting since Earthlink's pop3 and its smtp
servers which don't use authentication share the same addresses. The above
works quite nicely and should some idiot play with Earthlink.net's smtp
to send spam it won't get the ALL_TRUSTED hit.

I'm glad I got motivated to look at this a little closer. This header
seems to be key for being trusted via localhost.

 by localhost with POP3 (fetchmail-6.2.5)
 for jdow@XXX.XXX.XXX (single-drop); Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:24:50 -0800 (PST)

Suits me fine!
{^_^}

Re: New Spammer?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.

Re: New Spammer?

Re: New Spammer?

Re: New Spammer?

Re: New Spammer?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.

Re: New Spammer?

Posted by Leonard SA <sp...@pcnetsources.com>.
Where are BLs setup at?

Thanks in advance..

Regards ..

Leonard Bernstein

-------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

Re: New Spammer?

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
jdow wrote:
> Heh, I use the ClamAV plugin for SA and give it a hefty score. That way
> I get the best of both worlds. Creative use of BLs also helps.

Local blackists help a lot.  If you figure most viruses are going to be
sent directly from client PCs, and most of 'em are going to try
repeatedly, a temporary block on any* IP that sends you a virus can save
a whole lot of connection time, bandwidth, and scanning time.

*You want some safeguards, of course.  Don't blacklist your upstream
mail server, if you have one.  Don't blacklist known forwarders.  We
only block IPs that appear to be DSL/cable modems and do not appear to
be mail servers, plus we have a whitelist (in the don't-block-it sense,
not in the accept-everything sense) of sites known to forward to our
users, and we clear the blocks nightly.

I expect greylisting would be similarly effective.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: New Spammer?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Matt Kettler" <mk...@comcast.net>

RE: New Spammer?

Posted by Casey King <ck...@lovebox.com>.
Matt,

You are right, these are viruses being sent.  I have been working with
SA for about 6 months now, and I must say...originally I was confused
about the 'features' of SA, but have since learned that SA has nothing
to do with viruses.  I probably eluded to the idea that I was worried SA
wasn't scoring high enough; hence, making everything think that I felt
SA should give a higher score b/c of the virus attached, but that is not
what I was getting at.  You are also right that I need to send an email
out to the users, and let them know about the virus outbreak.  No
message has made it through without being tagged, so the servers are
working as they should.  I mainly sent out the email to see if others
were seeing an influx also.

Thanks for the information.  As always, if it were not for this active
mailing list, I would not be as knowledgeable as I am now...but I would
still be considered a "novice," much like what you and Julian have been
discussing on the MailScanner list.

Casey

At 09:56 AM 11/22/2005, Casey King wrote:

>This morning we have been getting drilled by spam/virus emails.

Are they spam, or viruses? Not the same thing.

>40 so far.

I should be so lucky to see as few as 40/hour during any kind of
outbreak

>  Been getting a lot of phone calls from across the company about these
> emails.  At least my mailscanner boxes are stripping the files, and
> tagging it as spam, but what worries me, is the low scores these
messages
> are receiving.

SpamAssassin is a spam scanner. It's official policy is to EXPLICITLY
not
care about virus emails. No effort is made to try to catch them, because

doing so would dilute the scores of the spam ruleset. No effort is made
try to avoid tagging them either. They're just removed from the corpus
and
handled by the developers as if they don't exist.

>I start tagging spam, at 3.5 so each message has been tagged, but still
>sent through.  Any one else seeing these emails?

I see plenty of viruses, and never give them a mind. My selective
greylisting helps, but so far this morning my mailscanner still got 20
of
them.

There was also a steep burst last Weds, 18 of them, which then leveled
off
through the rest of the day.

*shrug*..  tell your users in a broadcast email that there is a virus
outbreak, but to not be concerned unless they have a message that looks
like a virus and isn't tagged. You might also want to include some
standard
educational notes about viruses and their auto-sending, auto-forging
habits.

Re: New Spammer?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.