Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by mikko karkkainen <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2002/01/24 13:09:07 UTC

Using localization and Intake together

Hello

  We should use some sort of localization on our site, not necessarily
Turbine's own Localization Service.

  The question is how to use localization together with Intake Service in
order to provide the user with localized error messages. Is it possible to
use different Intake.xml-files for different languages and choose between
the files according to the user's locale? Just a thought...

  If someone has done this please let us know about it, thanks!

Mikko
mikkark@hotmail.com

Re: Using localization and Intake together

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.
The following from:
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/src/services/java/org/apache/fulcrum/intake/IntakeService.java?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup>

/**
 * This service provides access to input processing objects based
 * on an XML specification.
 *
 * <p>Localization of Intake's error messages can be accomplished
 * using Turbine's <code>LocalizationTool</code> from a Velocity
template
 * as follows:
 * $l10n.get($intake.SomeGroup.SomeField.Message)
 * </p>
 *

describes how this would work with the localization service, it should
work similarly with what ever localization procedure you use.  Just put
the localization keys in place of the actual message and then you can
put all your localization properties in a common location.  The harder
problem which is not solved (at least not comprehensively) is localized
input validation.  Hopefully the problem is not insurmountable but I
just have not had time to investigate it.

john mcnally