Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com> on 2020/03/12 10:49:21 UTC

RE: Inspiring and engaing the greater Apache Community

Hi Sally,

(my comments are not directed at you - I do not envy your task)

While publicly I will continue to speak positively regarding the ASF and what it stands for, my tenure as the VP/Chair of the CloudStack has left me very disillusioned indeed.

I always found the project's PMC voting for itself, on who got to be committers and who would represent the project as VP to be high-handed and reminiscent of an old-boys-club.

But having gone through that, I see the ASF board and membership is the same, except even more aloof.  I find it quite bemusing that the ASF's Ruling Elite try to find ways for the commoners to create more/better communities.  I also suspect that if there weren't so many who have 'jobs for life' they would have learnt to behave much better towards each other or have been removed.

And to cap it all, I would suggest that of the current short-term officers, I have been one of the more present around the board, and yet when the end of the year comes, I'm told that I am no longer useful and that I should go back to not speaking unless I'm spoken to. The alternative given was to somehow block anyone else from taking the VP position.  It doesn't seem like the MO of a group that is really interested in any kinds of change, let alone diversity.

Ultimately, my point is that I think that 'Inspiring and Engaging' needs to start at the top, and my experience over the last year was neither.

Thank you for your time,
Kind regards,

Paul Angus
CloudStack PMC member.