Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org> on 2022/05/05 07:02:22 UTC

Re: Should we upgrade the Java default version? Attached: About the release timeline

Hi Georg,

> Am 21.04.2022 um 10:40 schrieb Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de>:
>
> I would suggest to upgrade to Java 11 or to Java 14 or even to Java 17
> with any upcoming releases, which might be then versioned like Core 5.2 or
> 6.0.
>
> With Java 17 we have Record types and Sealed classes and enhanced pattern
> matching in switch statements...

+1

> Currently I would suggest to create a Java11/14/17 branch and do the work
> there merging it before the next release.

Fine. There are probably not many active Turbine users out there though, so the development could as well happen in master.

> With this upgrade I would expect the next release mainly a refactoring
> (Java upgrade) release and the time target about the end of the year or at
> the beginning of the next year. Fulcrum components should be aligned of
> course and the releases would follow this time line:

On the feature side, I have been thinking about properly supporting HttpServlet.getLastModified(HttpServletRequest req) for quite a while.
That would allow transparent caching of Turbine modules or whole pages. I just don’t know when I will get to it.

Bye, Thomas

Re: Should we upgrade the Java default version? Attached: About the release timeline

Posted by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com>.
Hi Georg,

I agree with Thomas.  I think we could move to latest and potentially
skip the intermediate Java releases.  Work has been busy, but happy to
contribute where ever I can.

-

Jeff