Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by William Au <bi...@cnet.com> on 2001/03/06 17:02:18 UTC

pre-initialize SecureRandom

Is there any way to use  <load-on-startup> to pre-initialize the secure
random number generator used by Tomcat to generate session id?

Bill

load test performance comparisons - again...

Posted by "Horace A. Vallas, Jr." <ha...@hav.com>.
Hi all - I know - I know - beat that horse to death!! sorry but...

I'm still relatively new to tomcat and playing with maybe
migrating a couple of fairly large and active sites to jsp/servlets.

running 1.3.12 with 3.2.1 and jdk2-13 on RH7/2.2.16-22smp on a
2-processor i686 with 256MB (I think) - it's not a production server
but should be sufficient for development and some thumbnail testing
I guess.

I used apacheBench to run a quick test for loads of 50 concurrent
users and 1000 requests - not an extremely heavy load -
I compared a small version of snoop.jsp with a static html copy
of the jsp's rendered results and a similar report generated using
the neowebscript apache mod (like a tcl php)

As expected the static html was fastest, followed by the nws version and the
jsp, respectively - but the difference in the jsp was startlingly large...

static html     17.6 secs   56.9 req/sec   http://216.62.183.108/snoopResults.htm
nws version     37.1 secs   26.9 req/sec   http://216.62.183.108/snoopNWSstyle.htm
jsp snoop      130.3 secs    7.7 req/sec   http://216.62.183.108/jsp/snoopBare.jsp

Running the same tests with more realistic number of requests given current
site loads (-n 400 -c 50) yielded similar differences...

static html      8.2 secs   48.9 req/sec   http://216.62.183.108/snoopResults.htm
nws version     16.5 secs   24.2 req/sec   http://216.62.183.108/snoopNWSstyle.htm
jsp snoop       54.8 secs    7.3 req/sec   http://216.62.183.108/jsp/snoopBare.jsp

I'm floored and discouraged by the speed (slowness) of the tomcat stuff?
and we're not even talking about any database use etc. in this little test.

Can anyone point me to some basic flaw in this as a comparison?
Maybe ab is causing each jsp access to incur compile time or something?

I was really really looking forward to being able to migrate from
tcl to java but this sort of comparative performance is going to
make it a VERY difficult sell.

--
Wishing you an "OOBA OOBA" 21st Century!!
Horace                            ...once known as "Kicker" :-)

Thawte Web Of Trust Notary in SW Houston, Tx.
http://www.hav.com/?content=/thawteWOTnotary.htm
...drop by and chat if I'm online       http://www.hav.com/chat/
What is a Vet? ... He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five
wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a
hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite
bravery near the 38th parallel. ...   - Unknown