Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Viplav Kallepu <vi...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/02 22:38:07 UTC

Struts debug mode

Hi,

 I am using struts 1.3.8 with eclipse 3.1 (wtp) and tomcat 5.5.  Can anyone
please tell me how to enable debugging in it like we debug the core java
application in eclipse. I googled it but the I wasn't able to find a single
correct solution to try (I cant use myeclipse because I have to use eclipse
in my work).

--
Regards
Viplav Kallepu

Re: Struts debug mode

Posted by Viplav Kallepu <vi...@gmail.com>.
hi Joao,

  Finally I understood the requirement of sourcefiles for the third party
libraries. I added jadeclipse to my project. It is working fine, by that i
mean if I click *.class  files javasource code is opening. But can you
please tell me how to add this source to the libraries. becoz even after
adding the jadeclipse I am still getting the error source path not found.

--
Regards
Viplav Kallepu

Re: Struts debug mode

Posted by Viplav Kallepu <vi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the help I am able to debug action classes. Dave, If you find how
to debug jsp's please post it in the forum as it would be helpful to lot of
guys like me.

Regards
Vipalv Kallepu

On 10/5/07, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You should be able to debug your JSPs, too, although I
> haven't tried that with Europa (Europa, so far, is
> kind of kicking my butt; can't even re-format a JSP
> page :/
>
> But as Wes said, unless something is really wrong in
> your setup debugging your actions should be really
> easy.
>
> --- Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> wrote:
>
> > right-click on your server (Tomcat) and choose
> > 'Debug' ?
> >
> > You can put breakpoints in your action, etc.
> >
> > -Wes
> >
> > On 10/5/07, Viplav Kallepu
> > <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > but I am not able debug my action classes(I
> > atleast understood that i cant
> > > debug my jsp's). thats what is the problem. If
> > anybody has any good material
> > > for knowing "how to debug in eclipse(WTP)"
> > suggesting me would be a great
> > > help.

> > jars.

> > contained in
> > have
> > going

> > user-help@struts.apache.org
> > > >

> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Viplav Kallepu
> > >

> > --
> > Wesley Wannemacher
> > President, Head Engineer/Consultant
> > WanTii, Inc.
> > http://www.wantii.com

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > user-help@struts.apache.org

Regards
Viplav Kallepu

Re: Struts debug mode

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Struts debug mode

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.

Re: Struts debug mode

Posted by Viplav Kallepu <vi...@gmail.com>.
but I am not able debug my action classes(I atleast understood that i cant
debug my jsp's). thats what is the problem. If anybody has any good material
for knowing "how to debug in eclipse(WTP)" suggesting me would be a great
help.

On 10/4/07, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Viplav Kallepu <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > why do we need source files of third party jars.
>
> So you can see the source if you're
> debugging/executing something in a class contained in
> one of the third party jars. You don't *have* to have
> them, especially if you don't care about what's going
> on in them.
>
> d.

Regards
Viplav Kallepu

Re: Struts debug mode

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: calling action

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
How about ->

<action name="YourFirstAction" class="...">
    <result type="redirect-action">
            <param name="actionName">YourSecondAction</param>
    </result>

http://struts.apache.org/2.0.9/docs/redirect-action-result.html

The downside is that it is a redirect, so you any data from
YourFirstAction that you want in YourSecondAction will have to be put
into the session.

-W

Re: calling action

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Henry Park <hs...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> How can I forward to a url from within my action
> class?  For example, instead of 'return SUCCESS' I
> just want to call another action... something like
> 'return SomeAction!doit.action.  Any ideas? Thanks
> in advance.

Define a result that either chains or redirects to the
action?

d.

calling action

Posted by Henry Park <hs...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Struts debug mode

Posted by Viplav Kallepu <vi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the replies. I haven't tried jadeclipse and eclipse europa. I
will try them to and see how debug mode works. One thing I wansn't able to
figure out. why do we need source files of third party jars. Even the java
jre we include is like third party to eclipse. Still it is able to debug the
core java application. I am trying to understand if my understanding is
wrong please excuse me. If I keep a breakpoint in action class it should
stop there and show me the values that was what I was expecting with my past
experience using eclipse.

On 10/3/07, Stephen Boudreaux <sm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've found that Eclipse can be confusing when you want to attach the
> source of a library. Namely, you can't right click a library and
> select properties when in the J2EE view. You can go to the Java view
> and go there to attach the source there. If you are still having
> mysterious issues, you might want to consider jumping onto Eclipse
> Europa (3.3) WTP (I think they made it alot easier to get set up), or
> alternatively use the Red Hat Developer Studio (which is Eclipse 3.3
> plus WTP plus several other plugins).
>
> On 10/3/07, João Vieira da Luz <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > in order to go third party classes you must have source attached those
> third
> > party jars or you could use jad plugin (
> http://jadclipse.sourceforge.net/).
> >

> > On 10/2/07, Viplav Kallepu <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply.. when I put breakpoints in my action class and
> start
> > > the server in debugging mode and run my application in browser.. its
> > > stopping at the breakpoint and not going forward(It is showing it in
> the
> > > debug console)..I feel it is not able to find the source files as in
> > > .deployables donot contain source files.. Can anyone help me sorting
> out
> > > this..

> .  Can
> core