Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> on 2007/02/21 21:38:41 UTC

Re: BouncyCastle IDEA patent

On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> Regarding Bouncy Castle, IIRC they used to include the IDEA
> algorithm in their distribution and provided a one-off for Geronimo
> to use to bypass the patent issue.  Not sure if that is an issue or
> not for Tuscany but just a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up. We'll check with the jxta folks and see if
they use/expose the patented code.

We should move this discussion to tuscany-dev and report back to the
IPMC when its resolved.
--
Jeremy

Re: BouncyCastle IDEA patent

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Good to know.

- James

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
David Jencks wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding Bouncy Castle, IIRC they used to include the IDEA
>>> algorithm in their distribution and provided a one-off for Geronimo
>>> to use to bypass the patent issue.  Not sure if that is an issue or
>>> not for Tuscany but just a heads up.
>
> IIUC && RC the resolution to this is that we copied the
> non-patent-related bouncycastle code into the geronimo-util module
> because bouncycastle declined to produce an unencumbered release.  I'd
> suggest that if you don't need the patented code you use the
> geronimo-util jar instead.

Yep, that's my recollection as well.

> thanks
> david jencks

Bill

Bill

Re: BouncyCastle IDEA patent

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:56 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding Bouncy Castle, IIRC they used to include the IDEA
>>> algorithm in their distribution and provided a one-off for
>>> Geronimo to use to bypass the patent issue.  Not sure if that is
>>> an issue or not for Tuscany but just a heads up.
>
> IIUC && RC the resolution to this is that we copied the non-patent-
> related bouncycastle code into the geronimo-util module because
> bouncycastle declined to produce an unencumbered release.  I'd
> suggest that if you don't need the patented code you use the
> geronimo-util jar instead.

I would if we could but it is not our code that has the dependency
but the jxta code - they import bouncycastle directly :-(

--
Jeremy

Re: BouncyCastle IDEA patent

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.