Posted to dev@ace.apache.org by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> on 2013/11/13 10:17:30 UTC

Towards a new release and baselining support...

Hey guys,

As you all know, a lot of things have happened recently within the ACE project. We’ve rewritten the complete management agent, added quite a few features to the server and squashed bugs. With all of this work done I feel we should start working towards a new release now, but I’d like to get everbody’s opinion and check if there are things we forgot about that really need to make it into a new release.

One thing I would like to do is to upgrade to the latest Bndtools 2.2.2 version and enable support for baselining. Baselining will give us a lot of tool support to ensure our code (bundles and exported packages) is semantically versioned. To leverage baselining support there are a couple of things we need to do:

 * We need the to start putting @ProviderType and @ConsumerType annotations on all our APIs. In fact, we need to “retrofit” this to our 1.0.0 release to ensure the baselining works correctly. These annotations are not magically available, but we can add them to the global build path (cnf/ext/defaults.bnd).

 * We need to keep a copy of all released bundles (the latest version of each) in a repository to baseline against. Because we don’t want our build to break when we’re off-line I propose we put them in a local repository. We probably need to build those artifacts with the Eclipse compiler to prevent problems that will otherwise occur because of differences between ecj and javac so: checkout with Eclipse, build, collect all bundles from "generated" folders and publish them into the releaserepo in cnf. We also want to add them to the -deps artifact so people can easily get started with a release with baselining enabled.

If anybody else has input, speak up! :) WDYT?

Greetings, Marcel

Re: Towards a new release and baselining support...

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-429 to track progress on the migration to Bndtools 2.2.2 and I’ll start working on it right away.

Posted by ch...@cvogel.com.

Posted by Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu>.

On 11/13/13 1:29 PM, Bram de Kruijff wrote:
>> As you all know, a lot of things have happened recently within
>> the ACE project. We’ve rewritten the complete management agent,
>> added quite a few features to the server and squashed bugs. With
>> all of this work done I feel we should start working towards a
>> new release now, but I’d like to get everbody’s opinion and check
>> if there are things we forgot about that really need to make it
>> into a new release.
>>>
> A big question is what we will do with the 'old' management agent.
> At present that code is still scattered throughout several
> projects. So.. will we keep supporting it, deprecate it until the
> next, or purge it? I think installed base is low en keeping it
> around surely will give a lot of overhead in maintaining the
> codebase and moving forward on interfaces. For that reason I would
> argue to purge it.

+1 for purging the old MA, as the left-overs of it still confuse me on
a daily basis (could also be due to the sleep deprivation I am
building up recently ;))

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

/My world is revolving around PulseOn and Amdatu/

Luminis Technologies B.V.
J.C. Wilslaan 29
7313 HK   Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 30

http://www.luminis-technologies.com
http://www.luminis.eu

KvK (CoC) 09 16 28 93
BTW (VAT) NL8169.78.566.B.01

Re: Towards a new release and baselining support...

Posted by Bram de Kruijff <bd...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Marcel Offermans
<ma...@luminis.nl> wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2013, at 13:29 , Bram de Kruijff <bd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Marcel Offermans
>> <ma...@luminis.nl> wrote:
>>> As you all know, a lot of things have happened recently within the ACE project. We’ve rewritten the complete management agent, added quite a few features to the server and squashed bugs. With all of this work done I feel we should start working towards a new release now, but I’d like to get everbody’s opinion and check if there are things we forgot about that really need to make it into a new release.
>>
>> A big question is what we will do with the 'old' management agent. At
>> present that code is still scattered throughout several projects. So..
>> will we keep supporting it, deprecate it until the next, or purge it?
>> I think installed base is low en keeping it around surely will give a
>> lot of overhead in maintaining the codebase and moving forward on
>> interfaces. For that reason I would argue to purge it.
>
> I agree to purge it, as described in ACE-424 [1].
>
>> What will the (semantic) version of the release be? On the agent side
>> it feels like a major.. but that may depend on what we do with the old
>> one.
>
> First question is *do* we semantically version the release itself? I think we should as I see no reason to use a different versioning scheme.
>
> If so, I would be surprised if we don’t end up calling this 2.0.0 as I just broke an API in a backward incompatible way because I feel it was wrong (an interface extending ManagedService for no good reason).

Alright, agreed. So I guess we should think hard on what else we would
like to break within the foreseeable future :)

grz
Bram

Posted by Paul Bakker <pa...@luminis.eu>.
+1 for purging the old MA
+1 for semantic versioning of the release itself. This should reflect the
largest change on the bundle level, which on itself should reflect the
largest change on package level.

Paul

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Posted by Bram de Kruijff <bd...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello JB,

Thanks for the heads-up, and good luck with Karaf 3.0.0! If you have some time after that, could you please also look at a couple of “old” issues still on your name and decide what you want to do with those?

Greetings, Marcel

Posted by Paul Bakker <pa...@luminis.eu>.
Hi Marcel,

I agree about enabling baselining before the upcoming release. The
procedure you describe is similar to what my team is currently using, and
this works well.
It probably does mean we do have to change the ANT build as well to use the
Eclipse compiler, otherwise the build will fail on baselining errors. This
is possible, the compiler is available standalone and can be used from ANT.

Paul

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Marcel and the others,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Towards a new release and baselining support...

Posted by Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu>.

On 11/13/13 10:17 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> As you all know, a lot of things have happened recently within the
> ACE project. We’ve rewritten the complete management agent, added
> quite a few features to the server and squashed bugs. With all of
> this work done I feel we should start working towards a new
> release now, but I’d like to get everbody’s opinion and check if
> there are things we forgot about that really need to make it into a
> new release.
>
> One thing I would like to do is to upgrade to the latest Bndtools
> 2.2.2 version and enable support for baselining. Baselining will
> give us a lot of tool support to ensure our code (bundles and
> exported packages) is semantically versioned. To leverage
> baselining support there are a couple of things we need to do:
>
> * We need the to start putting @ProviderType and @ConsumerType
> annotations on all our APIs. In fact, we need to “retrofit” this
> to our 1.0.0 release to ensure the baselining works correctly.
> These annotations are not magically available, but we can add them
> to the global build path (cnf/ext/defaults.bnd).

+1! It is a good thing that we've made our APIs easy recognizable ;)

> * We need to keep a copy of all released bundles (the latest
> version of each) in a repository to baseline against. Because we
> don’t want our build to break when we’re off-line I propose we put
> them in a local repository. We probably need to build those
> artifacts with the Eclipse compiler to prevent problems that will
> otherwise occur because of differences between ecj and javac so:
> checkout with Eclipse, build, collect all bundles from "generated"
> folders and publish them into the releaserepo in cnf. We also want
> to add them to the -deps artifact so people can easily get started
> with a release with baselining enabled.

+1. We need to include a version of ECJ in our build-repository for
off-line builds, but how do we include this in our source releases? We
cannot ship binaries with our source release, but can we use the same
approach as we currently have for the compile-time dependencies?

- --