Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by Peter Keller <pk...@globalphasing.com> on 2010/06/11 11:34:34 UTC

Controlling scomp's invocation of javac

Dear all,

It seems to me that several annoying issues could be dealt with if there was
a way to provide an arbitrary set of arguments to the invocation of 'javac'
that is used by scomp to compile the generated Java source. Is anyone
planing on doing anything along these lines? If not, I'm thinking of having
a go myself, maybe sometime in July.

What I had in mind was to modify
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.tool.CodeGenUtil.externalCompile so that it reads a
properties-format file with arguments for javac, something like this:

-sourcepath=/path/to/some/sourcefiles:/path/to/some/more/sourcefiles
-bootclasspath=/path/to/some/rt.jar
-g=

and add these to the local 'args' variable before invoking javac. The path
to this file could be provided by an option to SchemaCompiler. Obviously I
would need to give some thought to the interaction with the current
arguments to externalCompile.

Does this sound a reasonable thing to do? I would give my changes back to
the XMLBeans project of course.

Regards,
Peter.

--
Peter Keller                                     Tel.: +44 (0)1223 353033
Global Phasing Ltd.,                             Fax.: +44 (0)1223 366889