Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vincent Hardy <vh...@eng.sun.com> on 2001/04/27 07:11:45 UTC

Great new tool in Batik!

Hello,

I am very happy to report a great new contribution to the Batik
project: a True Type Font to SVG Font converter. That tool is
contributed by David Schweinsberg of SteadyState Software.

This is a great addition to Batik for at least two reasons:

a. We are about to add SVG Font support (in a matter of days) so it
   is great to have a tool that helps generating SVG Fonts.

b. This needs to be discussed with David, but
   the SVGGenerator could be updated so as to embed fonts
   into the generated SVG. This way, generated SVG files will be
   truly platform/tool independent and will optionally be able
   to rely on embeded fonts only, and not on system fonts. That
   way, you will be guaranteed that the generated SVG will look
   the same wherever it is displayed.

To run the converter:

java -cp classes:resources org.apache.batik.svggen.font.SVGFont.

This will tell you the command-line options.

Many thanks to David for this great addition to Batik! Have fun!
Cheers.
Vincent.

Re: Great new tool in Batik!

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vh...@Eng.Sun.COM>.
Thierry,

Thierry Kormann wrote:

> On Friday 27 April 2001 07:11, Vincent Hardy wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am very happy to report a great new contribution to the Batik
> > project: a True Type Font to SVG Font converter. That tool is
> > contributed by David Schweinsberg of SteadyState Software.
>
> excellent! nice contribution...
>
> What about adding this application to the apps directory (eg. package
> org.apache.batik.apps.svgfont.Main ...). I like the idea to find all our
> applications under the same apps/ package.

Done: I have added the ttf2svg rule in build.xml and the apps.ttf2svg
app.

> What about adding a transcoder ttf2svg?

Yes, that is a good idea: are you volunteering :-) ?
Cheers.
V.

Re: Great new tool in Batik!

Posted by Thierry Kormann <tk...@sophia.inria.fr>.
On Friday 27 April 2001 07:11, Vincent Hardy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am very happy to report a great new contribution to the Batik
> project: a True Type Font to SVG Font converter. That tool is
> contributed by David Schweinsberg of SteadyState Software.

excellent! nice contribution...

What about adding this application to the apps directory (eg. package
org.apache.batik.apps.svgfont.Main ...). I like the idea to find all our
applications under the same apps/ package.

What about adding a transcoder ttf2svg?

Any comments?

Thierry.