Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Len, Peter" <pl...@orionsci.com> on 2000/11/04 02:35:58 UTC

shutdown.sh did NOT work - Tomcat3.1 & solaris 2.7

Hello,

I just installed Tomcat 3.1 on my solaris 2.7 machine.  I have set my
TOMCAT_HOME and JAVA_HOME.  It started up fine but when I went to run
shutdown.sh it did not shutdown the listener.  Everything seemed fine;
it displayed the 'Using classpath...' message from tomcat.sh and then
the typical 'Stop tomcat'.  There were no errors or any other sign that
would indicate the listener (port 8080) did not shut down, but it was
still running. I had to kill the process manually.  This has never
happened on my Win98, NT, or solaris 2.6 platforms.

Has anyone seen this behavior??

Thanks,

Peter Len

RE: shutdown.sh did NOT work - Tomcat3.1 & solaris 2.7

Posted by Brett Bergquist <bb...@snet.net>.
Duance, I believe you are correct.  I've just been through the Tomcat 3.1
source code (Tomcat.java) in particular, and indeed the way that the
shutdown is implemented is through the AJP protocol.  The second instance of
Tomcat that is started when the shutdown script runs, sends the first
instance a AJP shutdown message through the listener socket.  If the socket
does not exist, then the shutdown will not work.

Brett Bergquist

I'm not sure if it is related, but I have seen this bahavior when the AJP
connector is commented out.  In other words, I had this same problem when
I was testing it in stand alone mode without the connector code enabled in
the server.xml file.

I hope this helps.

Duane Gran
spinweb.net