Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/02 20:27:58 UTC

Re: [math] redesigning the optimization/estimation packages (phase 2)

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is going on here is that the special case - linear regression analysis
> - is being discussed as an example of an optimization problem.

Yes.  It is a special case.

But it was germane to the topic, particularly the imposition of a particular
way of converting a residual vector to a quantity to be optimized.  Mostly I
was worried that the API structure for optimization would force itself on
the higher level API's.

> ...  Patches welcome!

Point taken.  I apologize for not providing more them.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: [math] redesigning the optimization/estimation packages (phase 2)

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Ted Dunning a écrit :
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is going on here is that the special case - linear regression analysis
>> - is being discussed as an example of an optimization problem.
>>

> Yes.  It is a special case.
>
> But it was germane to the topic, particularly the imposition of a particular
> way of converting a residual vector to a quantity to be optimized.  Mostly I
> was worried that the API structure for optimization would force itself on
> the higher level API's.

The LeastSquaresConverter that started the discussion is only a small
helper class. It is not the basis of the general API and can be removed
if it is too awkward.

Please take a look at what I have just checked in. I have improved
slightly the general interfaces (mainly ConvergenceChecker and
Optimizer). I have also adapted DirectSearchOptimizer, NelderMead and
MultiDirectional to implement the new API. The multi-start feature that
was previously only available in direct search optimizers has been
extracted and is now a wrapper for other optimizers, regardless of their
types.

The optimization.general package (former estimation) is the next task.

Luc