Posted to dev@doris.apache.org by GuoLei Yi <yi...@gmail.com> on 2022/12/06 04:22:52 UTC

Remove non-vectorization code

Hi All Developers,

Vectorization is introduced into Doris in 1.0 which  is released
earlier this year. Many companies is using 1.1.x and it is very very
Fast and Stable.  I think it's time to remove non-vectorization code
now. Following is my considerations:

- Lots of company is using doris 1.1.x and it is stable.
- 1.1-lts is a LTS branch, we will maintain it and fix bugs for it, If
you need non-vectorization code, I think 1.1 will solve your problem.
- 1.2 is now released, many features like array, JsonB, nest loop
join, decimalv3, datev2 and etc. are not implemented on
non-vectorization engine. So if a user is using 1.2 and using some new
features then it could not rollback to non-vectorization engine any
more.
- We need to refactor some code but we need to maintain these
non-vectorization code, it is very hard and it is very likely to
import BUGs and there are not many developers could add feature or fix
bugs for non-vectorization code.

So that, I think it's time to remove non-vectorization code now to
move Fast and Stable!!!

--
Best Regards,
Yi Guo Lei

Re: 回复: Remove non-vectorization code

Posted by GuoLei Yi <yi...@gmail.com>.
Nobody has an objection here and 5 people agree.
So that, we will begin to remove non-vectorization code now.

Gabriel Lee <ga...@gmail.com> 于2022年12月7日周三 19:08写道:

Posted by Gabriel Lee <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mingyu Chen <mo...@163.com>.
Agreed.