Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jerome Lacoste <je...@coffeebreaks.org> on 2004/07/14 11:53:17 UTC

centralizing plugin management

I just come back from Vincent's home page where he indicates his desire
to create some new plugins.

http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/vmassol/

It would be nice if the requests for making plugins to integrate with
maven were centralized somewhere. At least I am not aware of such site
if there's one.

Think of mozdev used for mozilla extensions. Plugins should be
registered in one place and requests for new plugins as well.

It could be done on maven's site or on an external one.

If done on Maven's site, I propose to create a META bug in Jira and to
make all requests a new enhancement request depending on that one.

I also propose to add a section in the Plugins documentation under the
title "Missing plugins?" or something equivalent.

The section would contain a paragraph explaining how to register the
plugin request and point to the meta bug.

Of course the plugins may be developed on other sites.

Or maybe this idea should not be done in Jira, but maybe done on a
completely separate site.

Comments?

Re: centralizing plugin management

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@coffeebreaks.org>.
On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 20:02 +1000, Dion Gillard wrote:
> An extension of http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/index.html maybe?

That's the page I mentioned in my former mail. But then it requires
maintenance if something is added. Someone may make a PDF version ofthe
1.0 doc, and use it as a reference. From that doc, he doesn't get the
updates on something that may be relevant to him, even if maven itself
hasn't changed.

That's why I think it should be separate from the main site, just having
a link to it. Using Jira is good because the infrastructure is there,
but it is not easy to format the info the way you want it. Maybe a
plugin site would help. You could also add RSS seeds for news about
plugins coming from different sites, etc...

The problem with that is the following: if I search for a plugin, I have
to go through all the plugins sites. And maybe the plugins I want are on
a site not registered there. If someone works on a plugin or would like
to have a new plugin, of course he can mail the dev/user list, but it is
not that user friendly.

I see maven as a really flexible tool, and now that it is 1.0 more and
more people will use it.

I think centralizing the plugins info, not the plugins themselves (I
like the idea of separate communities), might be interesting. A sort of
yahoo directory for maven or would-be maven plugins.

Re: centralizing plugin management

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
An extension of http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/index.html maybe?