Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Wille <mw...@donerus.com> on 2002/03/25 18:52:09 UTC

MOD_CGI responses appended with 500 (httpd 1.3.20-16)

Hello All,

I'm experiencing a strange error that I originally had posted to the mod_perl mailing lists.  I've also searched around the archives of mod_perl and httpd and haven't found much to help out.  Hopefully someone here might have some insight.

The problem is this:

Any request for a CGI app that returns an HTML document has a '0' (zero) appended to the HTML.

Here are the characteristics:

- All of the CGI apps are perl based.
- Apps that run under mod_perl do not have this problem.
- Apps that run under mod_cgi do.
- Static requests do not show this problem.
- The problem shows up in Internet Explore 5.x (4 not tested) under both Windows and Mac.
- The problem does not show up in Netscape 4.x - 6.2, Mozilla, or Konquerer

I've analyzed the packets being sent to the clients and not only is a '0' appended to the response, but a series of \r\n with 500 intermixed.  The exact characters are:

[0x0a][0x09][0x0d][0x0a]
5
[0x0d][0x0a]
0
[0x0d][0x0a][0x0d][0x0a][0x0d][0x0a]
0
[0x0d][0x0a][0x0d][0x0a]

(The formatting is there for readibility and the </html> is part of the valid response)

The server has been running for several months and serving both mod_perl and mod_cgi applications without this problem ever showing up.  The problem started while writing a new perl application under mod_perl.  I was making a change to httpd.conf when I first noticed it, but can't confirm that those changes caused the problem.  (It was only a <Directory> addition.)  After removing all custom changes to httpd.conf, I removed the Apache RPM and installed it from CD again.  The problem remained even after that.

Can anyone offer any help or insight.  I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,

Michael Wille
Application Developer
W.B. Doner