Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ha...@t-online.de on 2004/12/07 08:42:34 UTC

Re: Re[2]: Phishing attempt wasn't blocked by SpamAssassin

Hello Bob,

thanks for getting back on that.
The problem with these mails - they may not be spam, they may not be fraud either,
but they impose a different kind of threat .... by lowering recipients' thresholds on security.

I have had that argument "well, I read that mail, and nothing bad happened" from users
and dont want to have it again :)
Maybe I should ask these kind of people to sign a paper that they will never ask me to
disinfect there systems

We have seen
- banks that invite their custumers to "click somewhere" for their account statement
- banks that suggest to "go to the security tab in IE and drag the control to a lower setting" as
a response to cert wernings
- microsoft generate cert warnings by putting a valid cert onto the wrong server
and now we have "legitimate mail" with suspicious links
It is all these things together that eventually make people tolerant to phish (well, I got this
irritating "broken cert" thing every day from my bank as well - how should I know that their
"broken cert" was different)

I am also not sure whether anti spam is the proper place to deal with these messages - if they
get enough score, recipients will just route them to the trash and later complain about the missing
mail. I could even imagine to quarantine these mails and invite recipients to complain to the senders.
In the case of the bank mentioned above, a "bank smells like phish" article in a local
computer mag caused them to change the system

Wolfgang Hamann