Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by "info@pistehors.com" <da...@voila.fr> on 2003/03/04 12:37:18 UTC

Re: Code coverage

I took a quick look at Quilt yesterday.  I notice they do byte code instrumentation using a custom class loader and this might cause problems with application servers such as Weblogic that have their own classloaders.  I think this is why tools like JProbe 4.8 still use a JVMPI agent to do byte code modification for coverage.  I guess the alternative is to instrument the class files statically but people don't seem to like this much.

They don't seem to be using the Jakarta BCEL package, which strikes me as somewhat odd as this would let them instrument the bytecode using a standard OS library.

After much experience working on coverage with a test team I'm not sure that 'black box' approach to code covearge is correct.  It seems to be a much more iterative process that lends itself to the xP mantra and JUnit/Cactus in particular.  Maybe the 2 people sitting together at a console in the xP world should be a developer and tester?

> Just thought I'd post a response from the Quilt team about quilt and Cactus.

> I believe to install Quilt into the Cactus, you need
> to get into the Container.
>
> A new version of Quilt (in development) would allow
> us to remotely start the JVM (using the JDI APIs)
> and gather things "remotely"
>
> DDP
>

> --- John Towell <jt...@logicalevolution.biz> wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > Hi I was looking over your Quilt project the other
> > day.  It looks nice.  I
> > was wondering if anyone has integrated it with
> > Cactus tests instead of
> > Junit.  We are running our cactus tests from Ant
> > using the
> > <runservertests> target that cactus provides.
> >

> http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/integration/ant/howto_ant_cactus.html
> >
> > It would be nice to incorporate Quilt in the
> > process, but not quite sure
> > how one would go about that, or if it is possible.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -John
> >

> > I was wondering if anyone had integrated cactus with an open source
> > coverage tool?  I have seen some clover posts on this mailing list, is
> > this the only option?  Quilt looks like it might work
> >
> > http://quilt.sourceforge.net/overview.html
> >
> > Has anyone tried this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -John