Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by "Joseph B. Ottinger" <jo...@enigmastation.com> on 2005/09/05 14:27:12 UTC

Jackrabbit and I

I'm a little frustrated.

I'm trying to get a base jackrabbit installation running, so I can use
content management without writing all the guts of it myself, and things
aren't quite working out.

The biggest cause is the lack of a cohesive download. I have the source; I
build locally with Maven. Things work out (I think). It compiles; most
tests pass (as it's still in the incubator, is this normal?)

Yet building a cohesive set of jars is enough to drive one mad. (Well,
drive ME mad.) I'm told (via IBM and some other such resources) to trawl
through my maven repository to pull out various dependencies, and after
doing so, javax.jcr.BinaryValue isn't found in my classpath.

Grrrrr!!!!

(Sorry; just a little frustrated. JCR is a great idea, and I'm determined
that some day, somehow, we're going to make it so that you don't have to
bend your body into weird shapes and sacrifice a goat just to drop it in
and USE it.)

Joseph B. Ottinger                             http://enigmastation.com
Editor, http://www.TheServerSide.com             joeo@enigmastation.com

Re: Jackrabbit and I

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On 9/5/05, Joseph B. Ottinger <jo...@enigmastation.com> wrote:
> I'm a little frustrated.
>
> I'm trying to get a base jackrabbit installation running, so I can use
> content management without writing all the guts of it myself, and things
> aren't quite working out.
>
> The biggest cause is the lack of a cohesive download. I have the source; I
> build locally with Maven. Things work out (I think). It compiles; most
> tests pass (as it's still in the incubator, is this normal?)
>
> Yet building a cohesive set of jars is enough to drive one mad.

did you try "maven copy-deps" in core?
copy-deps is a custom maven goal (see core/maven.xml) that copies
all dependencies to target/lib.

> (Well, drive ME mad.) I'm told (via IBM and some other such resources) to trawl
> through my maven repository to pull out various dependencies, and after
> doing so, javax.jcr.BinaryValue isn't found in my classpath.
>
> Grrrrr!!!!

hehe ;)

cheers
stefan

Re: Jackrabbit and I

Posted by Raphael Wegmueller <ro...@day.com>.
hi joe,

in case you are looking for a pre-built and supported JSR 170
compliant repository as a basis of your CMS application, you might
want to take a look at day's commercial JCR implementation CRX[1]. it
comes with an installer for windows and (generic) unix for painless
deployment and includes documentation and examples to get started. you
can evaluate it for free during a 30 day period. there is also an
independent mailing list[2] for users and developers.

cheers,
/rofe

[1]http://www.day.com/crx

Re: Jackrabbit and I

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
> Yet building a cohesive set of jars is enough to drive one mad. (Well,
> drive ME mad.) I'm told (via IBM and some other such resources) to trawl
> through my maven repository to pull out various dependencies, and after
> doing so, javax.jcr.BinaryValue isn't found in my classpath.
do you have the latest jcr-1.0.jar ? the javax.jcr.BinaryValue was
dropped just very late before the 1.0 release (as far as i remeber).

cheers, tobi
T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97