Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Marcus Herou <ma...@tailsweep.com> on 2007/12/31 14:50:39 UTC

Remote Seek

Hi.

I've started to implement a caching system which uses the Map interface as
"Facade". One of the implementations is using HDFS as backend FileSystem.
To be able to manage btree files remotely I need the ability to open an
outputstream with an offset and write to it like you write to a
RandomAccessFile.

What I would like to add to the FileSystem class is something like this:
*
FSDataOutputStream
create<http://www.netlikon.de/docs/javadoc-hadoop-0.1/org/apache/hadoop/fs/FileSystem.html#create%28java.io.File,%20boolean,%20int%29>
*(File <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/io/File.html> f,
boolean overwrite, int bufferSize, int offset)

Does it seem reasonable ? When browsing the source code I notice that the
underlying data is using the RandomAccessFile so it seems doable at least
for local filesystems and the distributed one.

Kindly

//Marcus Herou

--
Marcus Herou Solution Architect and Java developer Tailsweep AB
+46702561312