Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/14 05:14:02 UTC

committer and pmc requirements

Hey All,

One thing suggested to us by our Apache mentors was to formalize the
criteria for becoming a committer and pmc member. Different projects have
different criteria in this regard. What are people's thoughts in this
regard?

FWIW, here are my thoughts. I would suggest we hold a high bar on technical
capability but a fairly low bar on level of contribution. I think 3+
substantive patches plus an interest in ongoing involvement should be
enough. I think this is more appropriate to a young project such as
ourselves. Since we do blocking code reviews for both committers and
non-committers this doesn't put us at too much risk of weak code creeping
in. I don't have any thoughts on what would be a good standard for PMC
membership. It might also be a good idea to make people "committers
emeritus" after 6-12 months of inactivity. I have found on past projects
that committers tend to accumulate to the point where a substantial portion
of people are not active which is probably not the right thing for Apache
since things are decided by voting.

What do others think? Any past experiences of this "done right"?

-Jay

Re: committer and pmc requirements

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
My personal thoughts on emeritus:

Why emeritus?  I think that it's important for people who are evaluating the community to have an accurate sense of about how active the community is in terms of committers and PMC members.  With that in mind I think that the emeritus status/process should be a pain free, non-punative, process where by emeritus members can be instantly reactivated at solely their own request, i.e. there is no evaluation or vote to reactivate them.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.