Posted to droids-dev@incubator.apache.org by Tobias Rübner <to...@apache.org> on 2013/05/17 12:16:49 UTC

next steps for droids

Hi all,

I just saw, that there is currently some discussion about issues with
incubating projects.
Maybe you want to check it out:
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IncubatorIssues2013
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OlderPoddlingsWithARelease

Droids is also one of the older poddlings, but we already have 2 releases
and
fresh cleaned up code base, with an easy to use API for creating "whatever
you want" crawlers.

So for the ones who haven't already tested, please check out the cleaned up
version.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/droids/branches/0.2.x-cleanup/

There is still a lot of work to do, but I would like to know if you like it.
Maybe you have some improvements or maybe you would like to have some more
advanced features (parallelism is a big todo).

Personally I would like to merge the cleanup branch into trunk and perform
a release.
Maybe we could then graduate as a probationary TLP and after that we can
start to
add more advanced features.

So I would like to start a discussion about the next steps for droids.

Tobias

Re: next steps for droids

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 05/17/2013 07:16 AM, Tobias Rübner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just saw, that there is currently some discussion about issues with
> incubating projects.
> Maybe you want to check it out:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IncubatorIssues2013
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OlderPoddlingsWithARelease
>
> Droids is also one of the older poddlings, but we already have 2 releases
> and
> fresh cleaned up code base, with an easy to use API for creating "whatever
> you want" crawlers.
>
> So for the ones who haven't already tested, please check out the cleaned up
> version.
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/droids/branches/0.2.x-cleanup/
>
> There is still a lot of work to do, but I would like to know if you like it.
> Maybe you have some improvements or maybe you would like to have some more
> advanced features (parallelism is a big todo).
>
> Personally I would like to merge the cleanup branch into trunk and perform
> a release.
> Maybe we could then graduate as a probationary TLP and after that we can
> start to
> add more advanced features.
>
> So I would like to start a discussion about the next steps for droids.
>
> Tobias

The next steps to TLP involves activity. Technically a TLP only needs 3
active PMC members to exist. It would be nice to have more than that.

There is no such thing as a probationary TLP.

I think merging the cleanup branch into trunk would be a good next step
for our code. The changes I've seen look good, but I haven't had a
chance to do anything with it yet.