Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by jeff thomas <mr...@yahoo.com> on 2011/06/06 22:27:22 UTC

Stacking Algorithms

Can anyone please provide details on how to stack algorithms?

From: http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/A-few-questions-regarding-content-based-recommenders-td2168516.html

"Production recommendation systems use several algorythms and combine
them with weights. This is called 'stacking'. You might wish to write
a stacking version of Recommender. "

Re: Stacking Algorithms

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
I think this just refers to computing an average or weighted average over
several algorithms, and using that for the basis of recommendation. It's not
supported directly, but fairly easy to roll yourself.

Beware that this only makes sense if the values you are averaging are of the
same scale. The conventional algorithms are based on an estimate of rating
for unknown items, so it makes sense to average those estimates. But
recommenders don't have to rank on this, and if they're ranking on some
other value it may not be valid to average those.

Re: Stacking Algorithms

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Good god, you're quoting ME?

One application of this is using several statistical recommenders,
weighted. Another use case is that the GroupLens dataset comes with
movie categories; combining a statistical recommender and a genre
database sounds fun.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com