Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Arvind Surve <ac...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/01/14 08:30:39 UTC

[VOTE] Apache SystemML 0.12.0-incubating (RC1)

 Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache SystemML version 0.12.0-incubating !

The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache SystemML 0.12.0-incubating

To learn more about Apache SystemML, please see http://systemml.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v0.12.0-incubating-rc1 (a83ae1f7fbe9551da674450eedce08aaf7d19d07)

https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/commit/a83ae1f7fbe9551da674450eedce08aaf7d19d07

The release artifacts can be found at :

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/systemml/0.12.0-incubating-rc1/

The maven release artifacts, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachesystemml-1012/

=====================================
== Apache Incubator release policy ==
=====================================
Please find below the guide to release management during incubation:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

=======================================
== How can I help test this release? ==
=======================================
If you are a SystemML user, you can help us test this release by taking an existing Algorithm or workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

== What justifies a -1 vote for this release? ==
-1 votes should only occur for significant stop-ship bugs or legal related issues (e.g. wrong license, missing header files, etc). Minor bugs or regressions should not block this release.

------------------Arvind SurveSpark Technology Centerhttp://www.spark.tc/

Re: [DISCUSS]: [VOTE] Apache SystemML 0.12.0-incubating (RC1)

Posted by Glenn Weidner <gw...@us.ibm.com>.
> Btw, in the dev environment, running a maven build produces an archive
> called systemml-0.12.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT-python.tgz which basically
> contains the python files and the current content of
> systemml-0.12.0-incubating.tgz. I believe that's what we need.
> As we do not have this today in maven repo, which one of the artifacts is

> self contained and can be put on pypi? I believe that our pypi artifact
> should contain the python files and the SystemML jar/scripts, and one pip

> install command should install python files and SystemML jar file.

I've resolved the content discrepancy between release artifact
systemml-0.12.0-incubating-python.tgz and development built
systemml-0.12.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT-python.tgz
under https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-1198.

Thanks,
Glenn

Spark Technology Center
http://www.spark.tc/

From:	Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>
To:	dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date:	01/26/2017 11:21 AM
Subject:	Re: [DISCUSS]: [VOTE] Apache SystemML 0.12.0-incubating (RC1)

> The artifacts on Apache show:
> systemml-0.12.0-incubating-bin.tgz
> EVERYTHING is under a root folder called "systemml-0.12.0-incubating-
> standalone" . Question, why "standalone"?

I believe the standalone tgz and zip artifacts are getting manually renamed
during the release process after being generated by "mvn clean package -P
distribution", so the root folder is showing the original artifact name
rather than the renamed artifact name. I'll create a JIRA and PR to update
the pom or assembly to use the newer "-bin" so that they contain the
expected root folder and so they do not need to be manually renamed.

Deron

--
Deron Eriksson

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Berthold Reinwald <re...@us.ibm.com>.
I looked at the artifacts on Apache (
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/systemml/0.12.0-incubating-rc1/
), and on Maven (
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachesystemml-1012/
)

I noticed some inconsistencies, which people may or may not care about.
Yet wanted to bring to everyone's attention.

The artifacts on Apache show:
systemml-0.12.0-incubating-bin.tgz
EVERYTHING is under a root folder called "systemml-0.12.0-incubating-
standalone" . Question, why "standalone"?
contains the core SystemML jar file named
systemml-0.12.0-incubating-standalone/lib/systemml-0.12.0-incubating.jar
and has a size of 4.4MB.

systemml-0.12.0-incubating-python.tgz
EVERYTHING, i.e. the python files, is under a root folder called
"systemml-0.12.0". Question, does it not be called "systemml-0.12.0
-incubating" ?
contains scripts/staging while missing in
systemml-0.12.0-incubating-bin.tgz

The artifacts on Maven show:
systemml-0.12.0-incubating.tgz or .zip for that matter:
the core SystemML jar file is named
systemml-0.12.0-incubating/SystemML.jar, and has a size of 4.79 MB. Not
sure why different from above 4.4MB, and named differently.
i would expect that these archives contain the python files as well but do
NOT.
Btw, in the dev environment, running a maven build produces an archive
called systemml-0.12.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT-python.tgz which basically
contains the python files and the current content of
systemml-0.12.0-incubating.tgz. I believe that's what we need.
As we do not have this today in maven repo, which one of the artifacts is
self contained and can be put on pypi? I believe that our pypi artifact
should contain the python files and the SystemML jar/scripts, and one pip
install command should install python files and SystemML jar file.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Berthold Reinwald
IBM Almaden Research Center
office: (408) 927 2208; T/L: 457 2208
e-mail: reinwald@us.ibm.com

From:   Arvind Surve <ac...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
To:     Dev <de...@systemml.incubator.apache.org>
Date:   01/14/2017 12:35 AM
Subject:        [VOTE] Apache SystemML 0.12.0-incubating (RC1)

[...]

Re: [VOTE] Apache SystemML 0.12.0-incubating (RC1)

Posted by du...@gmail.com.
-1

There was a bug in the Python DSL affecting Python 3 users wishing to use division that Imran discovered while running the Python test suite.  It's been fixed with a commit merged into both `master` and `branch-0.12`.

Let's cut another release candidate immediately. Also, we do not need to restart the performance tests, as nothing has changed within the core engine -- the performance results from rc1 will be valid for rc2.

-Mike

--
Mike Dusenberry
GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw