Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Matthew Woodward <ma...@mattwoodward.com> on 2009/11/20 23:41:59 UTC

Performance Issue with PDF Merge on Windows Server 2003

I'm using PDFBox 0.8.0 incubating and I'm seeing some odd performance
discrepancies between Linux and Windows.

I develop locally on Linux (64-bit Ubuntu) and a PDF merge operation in a
web application I've been building takes less than 1 second.

When I move this same code to a 64-bit Windows 2003 server, the same merge
operation takes as long as 90 seconds. I'm definitely using a 64-bit JVM
(1.6.0_17 to be exact), and I've double-checked to make sure Tomcat is
pointing to the right JVM.

I've narrowed the longest part of the process down to the mergeDocuments()
method itself. In the test I've been running it's appending a one-page PDF
to the end of a two-page PDF, and the resultant file is about 1MB in size,
so not a ton of pages or huge file sizes.

Any ideas what might be causing the discrepancy between my local development
environment and Windows Server 2003?

Thanks.

--
Matthew Woodward
matt@mattwoodward.com

Please do not send me proprietary file formats such as Word, PowerPoint,
etc. as attachments.