Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "K. Seshadri Iyer" <se...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/12 05:38:44 UTC

A Newbie Question

Hi,

Pardon me if this sounds very elementary, but I have a very basic question
regarding Solr search. I have about 10 storage devices running Solaris with
hundreds of thousands of text files (there are other files, as well, but my
target is these text files). The directories on the Solaris boxes are
exported and are available as NFS mounts.

I have installed Solr 1.4 on a Linux box and have tested the installation,
using curl to post  documents. However, the manual says that curl is not the
recommended way of posting documents to Solr. Could someone please tell me
what is the preferred approach in such an environment? I am not a programmer
and would appreciate some hand-holding here :o)

Thanks in advance,

Sesh

Re: A Newbie Question

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
"There is no current feature" is what I meant. Yes, it would be very
handy to do this.

I handled this problem in the DIH by creating two documents, both with
the same unique ID. The first doc just had the metadata. The second
document parsed the input with Tika, but had 'skip doc on error' set.
So, if the parsing worked, the parsed document overwrote the first
document. If parsing failed, the metadata-only document went in.

Works quite well!

Ken Krugler wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2010, at 3:02pm, Lance Norskog wrote:
>
>> Yes, the ExtractingRequestHandler uses Tika to parse many file formats.
>>
>> Solr 1.4.1 uses a previous version of Tika (0.6 or 0.7).
>>
>> Here's the problem with Tika and extraction utilities in general:
>> they are not perfect. They will fail on some files. In the
>> ExtractingRequestHandler's case, there is no way to let it fail in
>> parsing but save the document's metadata anyway with a notation:
>> "sorry not parsed".
>
> By "there is no way" do you mean in configuring the current
> ExtractingRequestHandler? Or is there some fundamental issue with how
> Solr uses Tika that prevents ExtractingRequestHandler from being
> modified to work this way (which seems like a useful configuration
> settings)?
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Ken
>
>> I would rather have the unix 'strings' command parse my documents
>> (thanks to a co-worker for this).
>>
>> K. Seshadri Iyer wrote:
>>> Thanks for all the responses.
>>>
>>> Govind: To answer your question, yes, all I want to search is plain
>>> text
>>> files. They are located in NFS directories across multiple

Re: A Newbie Question

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
On Nov 14, 2010, at 3:02pm, Lance Norskog wrote:

> Yes, the ExtractingRequestHandler uses Tika to parse many file
> formats.
>
> Solr 1.4.1 uses a previous version of Tika (0.6 or 0.7).
>
> Here's the problem with Tika and extraction utilities in general:
> they are not perfect. They will fail on some files. In the
> ExtractingRequestHandler's case, there is no way to let it fail in
> parsing but save the document's metadata anyway with a notation:
> "sorry not parsed".

By "there is no way" do you mean in configuring the current
ExtractingRequestHandler? Or is there some fundamental issue with how
Solr uses Tika that prevents ExtractingRequestHandler from being
modified to work this way (which seems like a useful configuration
settings)?

Regards,

-- Ken

> I would rather have the unix 'strings' command parse my documents
> (thanks to a co-worker for this).
>
> K. Seshadri Iyer wrote:
>> Thanks for all the responses.
>>
>> Govind: To answer your question, yes, all I want to search is plain
>> text
>> files. They are located in NFS directories across multiple Solaris/
>> Linux
>> storage boxes. The total storage is in hundreds of terabytes.
>>
>> I have just got started with Solr and my understanding is that I will
>> somehow need Tika to help stream/upload files to Solr. I don't know
>> anything
>> about Java programming, being a system admin. So far, I have read
>> that the
>> autodetect parser in Tika will somehow detect the file type and I
>> can use
>> the stream to populate Solr. How, that is still a mystery to me -
>> working on
>> it. Any tips appreciated; thanks in advance.
>>
>> Sesh
>>

>> On 13 November 2010 15:24, Govind Kanshi<go...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Another pov you might want to think about - what kind of search
>>> you want.
>>> Just plain - full text search or there is something more to those
>>> text
>>> files. Are they grouped in folders? Do the folders imply certain
>>> kind of
>>> grouping/hierarchy/tagging?
>>>
>>> I recently was trying to help somebody who had files across lot of
>>> places
>>> grouped by date/subject/author - he wanted to ensure these are
>>> "fields"
>>> which too can act as filters/navigators.
>>>
>>> Just an input - ignore it if you just want plain full text search.

>>> Solr;

>>> input

>>> months

>>> get

>>> seshadribpl@gmail.com

>>> Solaris

>>> tell

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com
e l a s t i c   w e b   m i n i n g

Re: A Newbie Question

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Yes, the ExtractingRequestHandler uses Tika to parse many file formats.

Solr 1.4.1 uses a previous version of Tika (0.6 or 0.7).

Here's the problem with Tika and extraction utilities in general: they
are not perfect. They will fail on some files. In the
ExtractingRequestHandler's case, there is no way to let it fail in
parsing but save the document's metadata anyway with a notation: "sorry
not parsed".  I would rather have the unix 'strings' command parse my

Re: A Newbie Question

Posted by "K. Seshadri Iyer" <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: A Newbie Question

Posted by Govind Kanshi <go...@gmail.com>.