Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2021/06/10 15:28:20 UTC

Cleaning up the KEYS file

Hi all,

This came up while discussing the current set of releases with the
new/returning release managers.

The official ASF recommendation is a single KEYS file under
https://downloads.apache.org/tomcat/
(source https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/tomcat/)

We have multiple KEYS files one level down. i.e., Tomcat 10, Tomcat 9, etc.

First question is are we happy with having multiple KEYS files one level
down?
On the plus side, it means smaller KEYS files.
On the down side, it means a little more management may be required.

Personally, I like the one level down approach. It means we don't have
to have an every growing KEYS file which for a project the age of Tomcat
is a good thing.

The second question (assuming we are happy with the one level down
approach) is do we want to clean-up some/all of the existing KEYS files?
This would mean aligning:
- https://downloads.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-X/KEYS file
- the KEYS file in the release branch in the source repo
- the list of RMs for that specific branch (or sub-project)

I'd be happy to see this alignment happen but it isn't particularly high
up my list of priorities at the moment.

Mark

Re: Cleaning up the KEYS file

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 6/10/21 11:28, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This came up while discussing the current set of releases with the
> new/returning release managers.
>
> The official ASF recommendation is a single KEYS file under
> https://downloads.apache.org/tomcat/
> (source https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/tomcat/)
>
> We have multiple KEYS files one level down. i.e., Tomcat 10, Tomcat 9, etc.
>
> First question is are we happy with having multiple KEYS files one level
> down?
> On the plus side, it means smaller KEYS files.
> On the down side, it means a little more management may be required.

+1 to separate KEYS files

> Personally, I like the one level down approach. It means we don't have
> to have an every growing KEYS file which for a project the age of Tomcat
> is a good thing.
>
> The second question (assuming we are happy with the one level down
> approach) is do we want to clean-up some/all of the existing KEYS files?
> This would mean aligning:
> - https://downloads.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-X/KEYS file
> - the KEYS file in the release branch in the source repo
> - the list of RMs for that specific branch (or sub-project)
>
> I'd be happy to see this alignment happen but it isn't particularly high
> up my list of priorities at the moment.

+1 for cleaning-up the KEYS files.

-chris

Re: Cleaning up the KEYS file

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 5:28 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This came up while discussing the current set of releases with the
> new/returning release managers.
>
> The official ASF recommendation is a single KEYS file under
> https://downloads.apache.org/tomcat/
> (source https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/tomcat/)
>
> We have multiple KEYS files one level down. i.e., Tomcat 10, Tomcat 9, etc.
>
> First question is are we happy with having multiple KEYS files one level
> down?
> On the plus side, it means smaller KEYS files.
> On the down side, it means a little more management may be required.

Ok why not. I agree it's a mess right now ;)

> Personally, I like the one level down approach. It means we don't have
> to have an every growing KEYS file which for a project the age of Tomcat
> is a good thing.
>
> The second question (assuming we are happy with the one level down
> approach) is do we want to clean-up some/all of the existing KEYS files?
> This would mean aligning:
> - https://downloads.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-X/KEYS file
> - the KEYS file in the release branch in the source repo
> - the list of RMs for that specific branch (or sub-project)
>
> I'd be happy to see this alignment happen but it isn't particularly high
> up my list of priorities at the moment.

Rémy