Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2008/01/15 00:19:54 UTC

[VOTE] Release Tomcat native 1.1.12

The source distributions are here:

http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/tomcat-native-1.1.12-src.tar.gz
http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/tomcat-native-1.1.12-win32-src.zip

According to the release process, the 1.1.12 tarball is:
[ ] Broken
[ ] Alpha
[ ] Beta
[ ] Stable

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Tomcat native 1.1.12

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>> -1 (or if you wish veto)
>
> Releases can't be voted. The 3 more +1s than -1s rule still applies though.

BTW, (if that would be considered as a release at the first place)
you were not RM (Jean-Frederic made the tag), so you cannot
ask for an vote.
Well, I'm not actually sure, but the common practice inside ASF
is that the person making a tarball asks for a vote.

Regards,
Mladen

Re: [VOTE] Release Tomcat native 1.1.12

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>> -1 (or if you wish veto)
>
> Releases can't be voted. The 3 more +1s than -1s rule still applies though.

Opps. Make that "Releases can't be vetoed". It's getting late here ;)

Posted by Mark Thomas <me...@virgin.net>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrote:
>>
>> We have been making the src available for download since the first
>> version, so why not continue to do so but do so within the ASF rules
>> and have a release vote? The overhead of a vote is pretty small and it
>> isn't like it is going to be struggling for +1s.
>>

> But we *never* had any vote on native release.
> See my reply to Yoav. It was a mistake we used apache.org/dist
> location for those files.

Thanks, that explains the history.

If we do leave those files in a.o/dist then we'll need to vote on them
anyway. We can't just leave them there since, mistake or not, they are
releases.

Just read Guenter's e-mail. I wonder. If we put them in svn, could we use
some form of cunning re-direct?

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Did you read what I said? There is no such thing
> as *tomcat-native release*, period, so
> there is no thing we can vote for.

If we make a src tarball available for download, then it is a release. It
doesn't matter that it is useless on it's own nor that similar
functionality is included in part of a larger package elsewhere.

We have been making the src available for download since the first version,
so why not continue to do so but do so within the ASF rules and have a
release vote? The overhead of a vote is pretty small and it isn't like it
is going to be struggling for +1s.

> There is no Tomcat NIO, HTTP or AJP connector release as well.
> The only small difference is that the first one is
> written in C, while rest are written in Java.
> This is one and only difference.

There are other differences, the key one being that we make it available
for separate download.

>>> There is no such thing as tomcat-native product that
>>> we can vote for.
>>
>> What are all these then?
>> http://tomcat.heanet.ie/native/
>>

> Ask the US government and their crypto law :)

I thought it was a licensing issue on one of the required libraries but
that doesn't really matter here. The point is it looks like a release, it
gets tagged like a release, it gets distributed like a release, why not
just do a release?

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> -1 (or if you wish veto)

Releases can't be voted. The 3 more +1s than -1s rule still applies though.

> There is no such thing as tomcat-native product that
> we can vote for.

What are all these then?
http://tomcat.heanet.ie/native/

> Tomcat-native is integral part of Tomcat, so we cannot
> vote on Tomcat's jsp engine, or its NIO connector.

There seems to be little difference between the native connectors and
mod_jk to me.

I don't understand what the arguments are against separate native releases.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Yoav Shapira wrote:
>> Sorry, I typed this before reading the other thread.
>>
>> +1 for releasing this specific file.  If this vote doesn't pass, the
>> file has to be removed.
>>

> I'll remove the file (1.1.12)
> Like said they are already inside
> http://tomcat.apache.org/dev/dist/tomcat-connectors/native/
>
> I doubt we can remove all previous files, cause it would
> mean breaking the history builds.
if the file, and its location is required to build a source distro, then
we should probably move tcnative into "product" status so that we can
host those files and keep an archive of them
is there a reason or strong preference not to have tcnative in its own
release cycle?
Filip

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Sorry, I typed this before reading the other thread.

+1 for releasing this specific file.  If this vote doesn't pass, the
file has to be removed.

What we decide to do going forwards I leave to the native release
manager, and I have no preference in the matter.  Except of course we
have to comply with ASF rules ;)

On Jan 14, 2008 6:57 PM, Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
> I think the difference is based on an understanding of what
> constitutes a release.  A tarball in www.apache.org/dist/... is a
> release by definition.  Files cannot go in that directory or its
> children without a vote.
>
> If they're there, they're a release.  We have to vote on them or pull
> them out.  I don't have a preference, but it seems like just a quick
> vote over 72 hours is a simple enough thing.
>

> On Jan 14, 2008 6:29 PM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Mark Thomas wrote:
> > > The source distributions are here:
> > >
> > > http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/tomcat-native-1.1.12-src.tar.gz
> > >
> > > http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/tomcat-native-1.1.12-win32-src.zip
> > >

> > > According to the release process, the 1.1.12 tarball is:
> > > [ ] Broken
> > > [ ] Alpha
> > > [ ] Beta
> > > [ ] Stable
> > >

> > -1 (or if you wish veto)
> >
> > There is no such thing as tomcat-native product that
> > we can vote for.
> > Tomcat-native is integral part of Tomcat, so we cannot
> > vote on Tomcat's jsp engine, or its NIO connector.

> Yoav

Yoav

Re: [VOTE] Release Tomcat native 1.1.12

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> The source distributions are here:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/tomcat-native-1.1.12-src.tar.gz
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/tomcat-native-1.1.12-win32-src.zip
>

> According to the release process, the 1.1.12 tarball is:
> [ ] Broken
> [ ] Alpha
> [ ] Beta
> [ ] Stable

-1 (or if you wish veto)

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> This may end up as moot when the "to release or not to release" thread
> concludes but if not, here is my vote

LOL, I love you Mark, because you cannot be distracted.
I've tried, but I've failed :)

Cheers,
Mladen

Re: [VOTE] Release Tomcat native 1.1.12