Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/04 13:56:48 UTC

[DISCUSS] Artemis Coding Style

So in general I'm not too picky with coding styles but I just started
looking at the Artemis project a few days ago and something that stood out
to me right away was the use of opening curly braces on a new line.

Virtually ever Java code base I've seen is written in the style using the
opening brace on the same line. (See
http://google.github.io/styleguide/javaguide.html#s4.1.2-blocks-k-r-style)
 I think that in general it would be a good idea to match up to a style
that most Java developers are used to working with if we want to get more
of the community involved.

I was wondering if anyone would have an issue with changing the style or
what people's thoughts are about this potential change?

Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis Coding Style

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I’d probably start with the CXF configs:

https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cxf-build-utils.git;a=tree;f=buildtools/src/main/resources;h=f0a20e01e53e5915a2a298060688c0cf24bc86bf;hb=HEAD

as a base and modify it (likely relax some rules, CXF is pretty strict).   The CXF configs are updated for the latest checkstyle plugins for both Maven and the Eclipse checkstyle plugin.  I know the Camel configs need some update for the new plugins.  Just haven’t gotten around to doing it.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis Coding Style

Posted by Ganesh Murthy <gm...@redhat.com>.
+1 for open curly braces on the same line. I also agree with Clebert.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
This is now merged, I have re-formated master.

I used a PR so the PR check would validate my changes.

Everybody committing to this branch please update your IDE settings. I
have updated IDEA-style.jar under ./etc for the ones using idea.

Eclipse should reuse the checkstyle file but you should still update
your IDE accordingly I believe.

Everyone should do a "mvn -Pdev install" before committing on the
branch, mainly now that the style just changed till you all get used
(this applies to me and anyone used to the former style).

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis Coding Style

Posted by Andy Taylor <an...@gmail.com>.
Works for me

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
What about this:

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis Coding Style

Posted by Andy Taylor <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis Coding Style

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1!!!!  (or more)

I honestly thought ActiveMQ had a style guide already, but I didn’t find one while searching through the site or anything like IDE setups in the repo or anything.  I guess I always have the stuff from Camel/CXF configured in Eclipse which pretty much uses the javaguide style and never really gave it much thought.

Dan

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
+1 for the code style change. I find the code with curly braces on the new
line more verbose than necessary and harder to read. Also, most IDEs
defaults (IntelliJ for example) are set to in-line code style, so it’s
easier to start coding.

Regards
--
Dejan Bosanac
about.me/dejanb

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
I think I will start with what we have now by just switching the curls
to the same line.. Looking at our checkstyle they are not as strict as
CXF (the one mentioned here).

We can improve later if needed without any problems.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> Lazy consensus is fine.    Wait till tomorrow and if no one objects, just do it.
>
> Dan
>

>> On Aug 4, 2015, at 11:24 AM, Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is this a just do it thing, or we need a vote?

>>> +1
>>>
>>> I think following the javaguide style would make the code much more
>>> approachable.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tim Bish
>>> Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.