Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Mark Payne <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2014/12/17 20:24:40 UTC

User Guide

All,
I have started work on a NiFi User Guide (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-150). There is a lot of work to be done here for sure, and I've only really started. However, what I've written up so far may be useful to those of you who haven't had a chance to learn NiFi yet. General terminology is described, some of the icons are explained, etc.
So far I've been writing it Open Office. I don't know if this is the format that we want to stick with, but that can easily be changed later. It is checked into the NIFI-USER-GUIDE branch, under nar-bundles/framework-bundle/framework/resources/src/main/resources/docs. I expect to be adding quite a bit to this in the coming days.
Thanks-Mark

Re: User Guide

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Mark, Adam,

I'd say you should start a jira ticket for this concept and place both
ideas onto it.

Thanks
Joe

Re: User Guide

Posted by Mark Payne <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Adam,

Re: User Guide

Posted by Adam Taft <ad...@adamtaft.com>.
Now for bonus points...

RE: User Guide

Posted by Mark Payne <ma...@hotmail.com>.

Re: User Guide

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: User Guide

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: User Guide

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Mark

Re: User Guide

Re: User Guide

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
I agree the source control 'friendliness' is an important consideration.
Once we have multiple active authors contributing documentation it becomes
really important.  The current lack of documentation though is critical.

We can go from any format to any format but we can't convert nothing to
something.  So in that spirit am grateful to whomever gets the
documentation party started however they are willing to.

Thanks
Joe

Re: User Guide

Posted by Mark Payne <ma...@hotmail.com>.

Re: User Guide

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Tony,

to be honest I'm using LaTeX for a very long time (ca. 20 years) which
is great but i have started to use asciidoc for a longer time (about a
year) and it's much simpler to learn to understand and to use it with
VCS etc.

Furthermore I have started to use markdown for my blog for about two
years which makes it simpler using the things in Git etc.

 From asciidoc you can create every kind out of the format from it like

Re: User Guide

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
+1 asciidoc.

really, any of the asciidoc, docbook, markdown will get you a much easier
learning curve for new contributors than alternatives.

--
Sean

Re: User Guide

Posted by Tony Kurc <tr...@gmail.com>.