Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Joel Wiegman <Jo...@dswinc.com> on 2007/11/28 21:08:56 UTC

T5: The Mysteries of the ValidationTracker and the fields it decides to keep values for

Hello all,

The Tapestry 5 doc on Input Validation (
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-core/guide/validation.html
) states:

"Likewise, the individual fields updated by the components should also
be persistent."

I'm not using the @Persist annotation on any fields (but let's get past
that for a second).  For some reason all <t:textField>s still
automatically retain their values upon failed validation as long as the
t:validate attribute is included!  I'm assuming this is because the
ValidationTracker (which is persisted automatically by Tapestry) stores
and re-binds the values of the text fields.

I'm not too concerned with that though.  My real question is this:  Why
only for <t:textField>s?  For all other components (<t:select>s,
<t:dateField>s, <t:checkbox>s, etc.) the values disappear.  In the
future will the values for these other components eventually be recorded
and re-bound via the ValidationTracker as well?  I'm just looking for
consistent behavior.  Should I log a JIRA issue?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Joel

Re: T5: The Mysteries of the ValidationTracker and the fields it decides to keep values for

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Please do (log a JIRA issue).

On Nov 28, 2007 12:08 PM, Joel Wiegman <Jo...@dswinc.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The Tapestry 5 doc on Input Validation (
> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-core/guide/validation.html
> ) states:
>
> "Likewise, the individual fields updated by the components should also
> be persistent."
>
> I'm not using the @Persist annotation on any fields (but let's get past
> that for a second).  For some reason all <t:textField>s still
> automatically retain their values upon failed validation as long as the
> t:validate attribute is included!  I'm assuming this is because the
> ValidationTracker (which is persisted automatically by Tapestry) stores
> and re-binds the values of the text fields.
>
> I'm not too concerned with that though.  My real question is this:  Why
> only for <t:textField>s?  For all other components (<t:select>s,
> <t:dateField>s, <t:checkbox>s, etc.) the values disappear.  In the
> future will the values for these other components eventually be recorded
> and re-bound via the ValidationTracker as well?  I'm just looking for
> consistent behavior.  Should I log a JIRA issue?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Joel

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Partner and Senior Architect at Feature50