Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/14 02:25:32 UTC

Re: Forrest-based website ready for deployment (missing permissions)

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
>> Maybe Hudson can help...
>
> I'm also discussing with the infra team on whether we really do need
> to keep the generated site in svn, or if we could just use a CI server
> to build and deploy the site directly from sources.

The infrastructure team decided to allow sites to be generated and
deployed directly from sources without committing the generated files
in svn.

Based on that decision I just configured our Hudson build to generate
also our web site, and added the following script to my personal
crontab (to be run once a day) on people.apache.org:

    #! /bin/sh
    umask 002
    if ssh hudson.zones.apache.org \
        test -f pdfbox/website/build/site/index.html
    then
        /usr/local/bin/rsync \
            -r --delete --rsync-path=/opt/sfw/bin/rsync \
            hudson.zones.apache.org:pdfbox/website/build/site/ \
            /www/incubator.apache.org/pdfbox
    fi

In my home directory on hudson.zones.apache.org I have a symlink
"pdfbox" that points to the PDFBox checkout used by our Hudson build.
The script checks that the site is generated (so our site won't break
if there's a build failure) and deploys the generated site to
/www/incubator.apache.org/pdfbox.

Basically, with this machinery in place you just need to commit your
changes to the site sources in website/src and the changes will be
automatically deployed to the live web site.

I hope everyone is happy with with this change. If not, I can revert
the deployment process to what we had before.

BR,

Jukka Zitting