Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "sukumar.np" <su...@zohocorp.com> on 2017/08/22 15:27:16 UTC

Getting TimeoutException instead of TopicAuthorizationException while using security SASL_PLAINTEXT

Hi All,

I am using  0.11 Kafka version and trying out an SASL_PLAINTEXT mechanism for Authentication and Authorization. I have configured Broker and Zookeeper as well Client with necessary configurations with help of following links

https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#security_sasl_plain

https://developer.ibm.com/opentech/2017/05/31/kafka-acls-in-practice/.

I have added acl to my topic to stop the write operation from any user as follows,

bin/kafka-acls.sh --authorizer-properties zookeeper.connect=localhost:2181 --add --deny-principal User:* --deny-host host:* --operation Write --topic test-12

Now  I am sending produce request from my Java client(who is an unauthorized user), I am getting the following exception

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.apache.kafka.common.errors.TimeoutException: Failed to update metadata after 1000 ms.

In Server side getting following logs as (after enabled in log4j.properties),

DEBUG Principal = User:alice is Denied Operation = Describe from host = xxx.xx.xx.xx on resource = Topic:test-12 (kafka.authorizer.logger)

For the same topic, trying to produce via console-producer, I am getting like,

WARN Error while fetching metadata with correlation id 20 : {test-12=UNKNOWN_TOPIC_OR_PARTITION} (org.apache.kafka.clients.NetworkClient)

Here my question is why am I getting  TimeoutException instead of TopicAuthorizationException from java client?

Do I need to configure anything to get TopicAuthorizationException exception?

Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Sukumar

Re: Getting TimeoutException instead of TopicAuthorizationException while using security SASL_PLAINTEXT

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.
JIRA for this issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-5547