Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2002/12/30 17:59:48 UTC

[log] adding/converting to commons-logging

I'd like to port the current Log taglib over to commons-logging and not
just log4j. What would be the preferable wya to do this?

1) Add a new Logging taglib?
2) Make v2.0 of the Log taglib sit on top of commons-logging?

>From what I understand, commons-logging should support the features of
Log4J that Log taglib uses, so it should just just be a case of accepting
that the Log taglib will not add new Log4J specific features.

Hen

Re: [log] adding/converting to commons-logging

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
CVS HEAD version of Log Taglib is now building against commons-logging.
I imagine the nightly build tonight will fail.

The nightly build version of the Log Taglib will need to point to a
commons-logging jar and not to a log4j-core.jar. At the moment I have not
upgraded the build systems variable names, that is the log4j-core.jar
property needs to point to a commons-logging jar.

I also have yet to update the documentation, so it still refers to log4j.

Codewise, it is the same code I had put online at http://www.flamefew.net/~hen/logging/

Hen

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> A new v2.0 version of the Log taglib would be my preference.
>
> Of course a v1.0 has never been released.
>
> A 1.0 version of the Log Taglib should be released before any work is
> started on v2.0.  Are you volunteering to maintain the log taglib?

Sure. It's immensely simple.

> There are zero bugs listed for the Log taglib in bugzilla, it would only
> need to be made ready for a release, I volunteer to act as release manager.

It has one tag which is not really a Log tag. A 'dump scope variables to
the screen' tag. It's tempting to remove this tag, but I imagine due to
the age of the taglib it would go between 1.0 and 2.0. This assumes it's
already in a util taglib or something.

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
A new v2.0 version of the Log taglib would be my preference.

Of course a v1.0 has never been released.

A 1.0 version of the Log Taglib should be released before any work is
started on v2.0.  Are you volunteering to maintain the log taglib?

There are zero bugs listed for the Log taglib in bugzilla, it would only
need to be made ready for a release, I volunteer to act as release manager.

Regards,

Glenn

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
+1 for option 2.