Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Rob Walker <ro...@softsell.com> on 2002/02/13 13:52:33 UTC

Serialized event logging

There's probably an easy answer to this one.

The preferred "file" format we'd like to use to log our events in is as serialized
LoggingEvent objects (since we're a server, and we'd like to leave
layout/formatting/filtering down to the viewer of the log when it's browsed).

It looks an easy task, but we'd also like similar facilities to the various
FileAppenders/RollingFileAppenders etc. in terms of buffered i/o and rollover.
Seems a shame to have to re-do all of this code, just to get an "unlayed-out"
object.

Anyone played with this area at all or got any thoughts?

-- Rob Walker
SoftSell Business Systems, Ltd.
' testing solutions for a changing world '

+44 (20) 7488 3470
www.softsell.com
robw@softsell.com

RE: Serialized event logging

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@softsell.com>.
We'll certainly be using XML further out for a common log file format used and
accessed by other tools. But our various bundles and services run white hot at
the core, and all we need is a local/fast binary log that we can deal with later.
- R

Send reply to:  	"Log4J Users List" <lo...@jakarta.apache.org>
From:           	"Oliver Burn" <ol...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
To:             	"Log4J Users List" <lo...@jakarta.apache.org>