Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net> on 2004/09/24 11:30:19 UTC

SA 3.0 TRAP

If you are thinking about installing Spamassasin 3.0  PAY ATTENTION:

If you haven't been reading this list carefully you will
have missed the fact that spamd has been moved
from /usr/sbin/  to /usr/bin .  However, the old version remains
in /usr/sbin which is often where your scripts expect to find it.
(At least in SuSE > 8 it is so).

Easiest fix it to rm the one in /usr/sbin and link the new one
there, and then go to /etc/sysconfig/spamd and remove the
-a argument in that file.

Took 5 minutes to install 3.0 with CPAN (gotta love cpan)
and then it took me 2 hours to track down Brian Gentry's post in
the archives.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spamassassin.general/56501

WHY is this not in BOLD TYPE in the readme ???

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: SA 3.0 TRAP

Posted by Anthony Edwards <an...@uk.easynet.net>.
On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 01:30:19AM -0800, John Andersen wrote:
> If you are thinking about installing Spamassasin 3.0  PAY ATTENTION:
>
> If you haven't been reading this list carefully you will
> have missed the fact that spamd has been moved
> from /usr/sbin/  to /usr/bin .  However, the old version remains
> in /usr/sbin which is often where your scripts expect to find it.
> (At least in SuSE > 8 it is so).
>
> Easiest fix it to rm the one in /usr/sbin and link the new one
> there, and then go to /etc/sysconfig/spamd and remove the
> -a argument in that file.

Alternatively, perhaps the released version could be amended so
that spamd is installed in /usr/sbin rather than /usr/bin, which
is I understand what the Debian package maintainers have done (that
wouldn't assist users who have already upgraded, of course).

--
Anthony Edwards
anthony.edwards@uk.easynet.net

Re: SA 3.0 TRAP

Posted by David Brodbeck <gu...@gull.us>.
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:49:48 -0500, Bob Apthorpe wrote
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:30:19 -0800 John Andersen
> <js...@pen.homeip.net> wrote:
>
> > If you are thinking about installing Spamassasin 3.0  PAY ATTENTION:
> >
> > If you haven't been reading this list carefully you will
> > have missed the fact that spamd has been moved
> > from /usr/sbin/  to /usr/bin .  However, the old version remains
> > in /usr/sbin which is often where your scripts expect to find it.
> > (At least in SuSE > 8 it is so).
> >
> [...]
> >
> > WHY is this not in BOLD TYPE in the readme ???
>
> Maybe the issue is OS- and version-dependent and wasn't apparent in
> testing?

I was going to say, it didn't happen to me on either system I upgraded -- one
from the tarball, and one from CPAN.

Re: SA 3.0 TRAP

Posted by Bob Apthorpe <ap...@cynistar.net>.
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:30:19 -0800 John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net> wrote:

> If you are thinking about installing Spamassasin 3.0  PAY ATTENTION:
>
> If you haven't been reading this list carefully you will
> have missed the fact that spamd has been moved
> from /usr/sbin/  to /usr/bin .  However, the old version remains
> in /usr/sbin which is often where your scripts expect to find it.
> (At least in SuSE > 8 it is so).

[...]
> WHY is this not in BOLD TYPE in the readme ???

Maybe the issue is OS- and version-dependent and wasn't apparent in
testing?

-- Bob