Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Wyatt Frelot <Wy...@altamiracorp.com> on 2015/02/06 21:05:45 UTC

ACCUMULO VAGRANT CLUSTER

Good day all,

I have completed the development of a Vagrant Accumulo Cluster. It automatically installs and configures Hadoop 2.4.1, Accumulo 1.6.1, and ZooKeeper 3.4.6 with "basic" settings. I tried to designed it being able to update the cluster with minimum effort. Hopefully that is the case.

Cluster Information: Vagrant cluster initializes 4 nodes w/ 1.5GB of RAM on a private network. If you look in the “Vagrantfile", I believe this information would be easy to see and adjust if needed. All of the node related info is located on under the “Additional Information” header of the link below. Nodes use typical vagrant usernames and passwords.

Setup Instructions: http://wjfrelo.github.io/AccumuloCluster/
I included as much information as I thought would be useful. Feel free to provide feedback on the value of the instructions.

Testing: I have been able to get it to work with minimum adjustments on Linux Platforms (Ubuntu, CentOS), Window 7 & 8, and Mac OSX. Main problems have occurred on window platforms (ssh and virtualbox path issues. Workarounds are identified in instructions)

Hope it is helpful and useful.

--
Wyatt J. Frelot

Re: hdfs cpu usage

Posted by Ara Ebrahimi <ar...@argyledata.com>.
Hi,

On all nodes. Nope, this is the behavior we’ve been seeing since we started testing a few weeks ago. Yes the behavior persists after restarts.

Ara.

On Feb 7, 2015, at 10:50 AM, Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>> wrote:

Is this happening on just one node, or all nodes?  Have you run w/o problem on google cloud env before?  Do you see the problem if you restart the vms?

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Ara Ebrahimi <ar...@argyledata.com>> wrote:
Hi,

We’re seeing some weird behavior from the hdfs daemon on google cloud environment when we use accumulo Scanner to sequentially scan a table. Top reports 200-300% cpu usage for the hdfs daemon. Accumulo is also around 500%. iostat %util is low. avgrq-sz is low, rMB/s is low, there’s lots of free memory. It seems like something causes the hdfs daemon to consume a lot of cpu and not to send enough read requests to the disk (ssd actually, so disk is super fast and vastly under-utilized). The process which sends scan requests to accumulo is 500% active (using 3 query batch threads and aggressive scan-batch-size/read-ahead-threashold values). So it seems like somehow hdfs is the bottleneck. On another cluster we rarely see hdfs daemon going over 10% cpu usage. Any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks,
Ara.

________________________________

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the e-mail by you is prohibited. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

________________________________

________________________________

Re: hdfs cpu usage

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Re: hdfs cpu usage

Posted by Ara Ebrahimi <ar...@argyledata.com>.
Nope. This is for a full table scan. The same config in our in-premise cluster performs well while on google cloud we see this weird hdfs cpu usage issue.

Ara.

________________________________

Re: hdfs cpu usage

Posted by Adam Fuchs <af...@apache.org>.
Ara,

Re: hdfs cpu usage

Re: hdfs cpu usage

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

hdfs cpu usage

Re: ACCUMULO VAGRANT CLUSTER

Posted by Wyatt Frelot <Wy...@altamiracorp.com>.
Josh,

That is ultimately my goal. Would love some collaboration and  feedback to further develop it prior to release. If ultimately, we believe that it is good we can move it in at that point.

Wyatt

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wyatt Frelot <Wy...@altamiracorp.com>.
Mike,

I have thought about Docker. But, my use case requires a lower learning a this point. I thought Docker would require  the users to go a little deeper than what I would prefer. With Vagrant, I didn’t think the learning curve was as steep.

No, I didn’t see the docker build you mentioned, but I will definitely pay attention to it form now on. Thanks!

Wyatt
On Feb 6, 2015, at 15:12, Mike Atlas <mi...@weft.io>> wrote:

Thanks - any chance you might consider doing this as docker containers?

Also, your github page does not link to your repo correctly, it should be https://github.com/wjfrelo/vagrantAccumuloCluster instead of https://github.com/wjfrelo/AccumuloCluster

Have you seen Steffen Roegner's docker builds (and Salt formulae) for Accumulo? https://github.com/sroegner/docker-builds

Posted by Mike Atlas <mi...@weft.io>.