Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/04 02:27:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal of HugeGraph

Hi

First happy new year to everyone!

We want to propose HugeGraph[1]  as a new Apache Incubator project.

HugeGraph is a large-scale and easy-to-use graph database. In the case
of 100+ billion data (vertices and edges), HugeGraph has complete
HTAP[2] capabilities built in its internal system. The design goal of
HugeGraph is to achieve a balance between availability, performance
and cost.

I'd be happy to be the Champion of this project and may Thanks to
Trista Pan (panjuan at apache dot org),Lidong Dai (lidongdai at apache
dot org),Xiangdong Huang (hxd at apache dot org),Yu Li (liyu at apache
dot org) for being the mentor of HugeGraph project and helping us to
polish the incubating proposal[2].

Looking forward to your feedback and thank you very much.

[1]https://github.com/hugegraph/hugegraph/
[2]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_transactional/analytical_processing
[3]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/HugeGraphProposal

Best Regards,

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal of HugeGraph

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
As we had a long discussion about this podling proposal.
I'd like to start a vote tomorrow if we don't have any other concerns
about  the proposal.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

According to DB-Engine's report, graph database is one of the most popular
database types.

HugeGraph project has reached a good start.
I would be happy to be one of the mentors of the project.
Wish it can be accepted by the incubator, and create a healthy community.

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org> 于2022年1月4日周二 13:44写道:

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.
Great to hear. What really matters is that the project succeeds, which
it is likely to, given your mentor list.

All the best!

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 1:15 PM Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Atri,
>
> Thanks for the kind offering,  as we already have enough mentors,
> maybe next time.
> BTW, there could be more projects on the way this year.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Willem Jiang
>
> Twitter: willemjiang
> Weibo: 姜宁willem
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 1:37 PM Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Great project.
> >
> > If you need an additional mentor, count me in.
> >
> > On Tue, 4 Jan 2022, 10:41 Juan Pan, <pa...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >

> > > Happy to be its mentor and input something here,
> > >

> > > When Jermy (one of their initial committers) contacted me about this
> > > project, I could feel their tech smell and the belief in OpenSource and
> > > Apache. They really want HugeGraph to become an active openSource community
> > > to include people's thoughts worldwide, not just about the coding or
> > > leadership of some persons. However, they could not find a better approach,
> > > so they sought our help. (That's why I am here ;-))
> > >

> > > We could see the trend and surging needs of the graph database, and
> > > HugeGraph concentrates on building a fast-speed and highly-scalable graph
> > > database. So hope this project brings more new energy, capability, and an
> > > openSource community here and there.
> > >

> > > Late greeting for happy new year!
> > >

> > > Trista

> > > Juan Pan(Trista), Twitter: @tristaZero
> > >

> > > On 01/4/2022 10:27,Willem Jiang<wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > First happy new year to everyone!
> > >
> > > We want to propose HugeGraph[1]  as a new Apache Incubator project.
> > >
> > > HugeGraph is a large-scale and easy-to-use graph database. In the case
> > > of 100+ billion data (vertices and edges), HugeGraph has complete
> > > HTAP[2] capabilities built in its internal system. The design goal of
> > > HugeGraph is to achieve a balance between availability, performance
> > > and cost.
> > >
> > > I'd be happy to be the Champion of this project and may Thanks to
> > > Trista Pan (panjuan at apache dot org),Lidong Dai (lidongdai at apache
> > > dot org),Xiangdong Huang (hxd at apache dot org),Yu Li (liyu at apache
> > > dot org) for being the mentor of HugeGraph project and helping us to
> > > polish the incubating proposal[2].
> > >
> > > Looking forward to your feedback and thank you very much.
> > >
> > > [1]https://github.com/hugegraph/hugegraph/
> > > [2]
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_transactional/analytical_processing
> > > [3]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/HugeGraphProposal
> > >
> > > Best Regards,
> > >
> > > Willem Jiang
> > >
> > > Twitter: willemjiang
> > > Weibo: 姜宁willem

Atri
Apache Concerted

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal of HugeGraph

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Atri,

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.
Great project.

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Very happy to see the first incubation proposal in 2022.
From the records of the github repo, we can see that this project has been

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Yu,

Posted by Calvin Kirs <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Looks like a nice project.

Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> 于2022年1月11日周二 20:21写道:

> Hi Jermy,
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
> If hugegraph-studio is going to retire, I think it's OK if we just
> include hugegraph-hubble in the hugegraph-toolchain.
>
> Another quick question, if we put hugegraph-client, hugegraph-loader,
> hugegraph-tools, hugegraph-hubble, hugegraph-test, hugegraph-doc in to
> the hugegraph-toolchain, it may cause some trouble when doing the
> release.  We may still need to figure out a way to transfer those
> repos.
>

> Willem Jiang
>
> Twitter: willemjiang
> Weibo: 姜宁willem
>
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 7:39 PM Jermy Li <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Willem,
> >
> > hugegrahp-studio is an outdated UI project, which is replaced by a new
> > version of UI project hugegrahp-hubble.
> > Of course we can also merge hugegrahp-studio into hugegraph-toolchain if
> > necessary.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > Jermy Li | Senior Software Engineer @Baidu
> >
> > javaloveme@gmail.com <Ja...@gmail.com>
> >
> > Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> 于2022年1月11日周二 18:35写道:
> >
> > > Hi Jermy,
> > >
> > > I just found you didn't mention the hugegraph-studio repo in the
> [...]

Best  wishes!
CalvinKirs

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubating Proposal of HugeGraph

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jermy,

Posted by Jermy Li <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Willem,

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jermy,

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
How about we put this lines into the proposal to address the concern?
BTW, Baidu has a commercial product which is based on the HugeGraph.
I think it fine as long as the commercial product flow The Apache trademark policy[1] and keep the HugeGraph code clean.

[1]https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/services

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Jermy Li <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hello Dave,

There are a few repos of HugeGraph at GitHub, it’s too loose and not easy to manage. So the team decides to merge some of repos into [1],

```
1. https://github.com/hugegraph/hugegraph
2. https://github.com/hugegraph/hugegraph-computer
3. https://github.com/hugegraph/hugegraph-commons
4. [PLAN] The ecosystem repository hugegraph-toolchain, including hugegraph-client, hugegraph-loader, hugegraph-tools, hugegraph-hubble, hugegraph-test, hugegraph-doc:https://github.com/hugegraph/hugegraph-toolchain
```
Double-check here, All the relevant repos at Github will be donated to ASF, right? @Jermy

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/HugeGraphProposal

[1] https://medium.com/@jermylee/comparison-of-graph-database-neo4j-janusgrraph-and-hugegraph-b144c527a6e2 <https://medium.com/@jermylee/comparison-of-graph-database-neo4j-janusgrraph-and-hugegraph-b144c527a6e2>

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dailidong <https://www.linkedin.com/in/dailidong>
Twitter: @WorkflowEasy <https://twitter.com/WorkflowEasy <https://twitter.com/WorkflowEasy>>
---------------

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 7:02 PM Yu Li <carp84@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

https://blog.actorsfit.com/a?ID=01650-caeae70a-01c9-4ab8-a440-07b24e732ee7 <https://blog.actorsfit.com/a?ID=01650-caeae70a-01c9-4ab8-a440-07b24e732ee7>
[2]

https://hugegraph.github.io/hugegraph-doc/performance/hugegraph-benchmark-0.5.6.html <https://hugegraph.github.io/hugegraph-doc/performance/hugegraph-benchmark-0.5.6.html>

On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 at 16:47, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net <ma...@nanthrax.net>> wrote:

[...]

[1]https://github.com/hugegraph/hugegraph/ <https://github.com/hugegraph/hugegraph/>
[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_transactional/analytical_processing <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_transactional/analytical_processing>
[3]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/HugeGraphProposal <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/HugeGraphProposal>

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

Posted by Jermy Li <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi, I'm Jermy from HugeGraph team. Thanks to mentors for introducing the
project.

@JB
We have sorted out a comparison(some main features of graph database)
between
HugeGraph and Neo4j + Titan/Janus, I'm glad to share with you:

[image: a6a58aa0bd985416c650cebd9bf0e8d0.png]

Lidong Dai <li...@apache.org> 于2022年1月4日周二 22:56写道:

Posted by Lidong Dai <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

There are some differences between the HugeGraph and Apache AGE.
They both provide graph query support and can be used on top of PostgreSQL.
As HugeGraph uses PostgreSQL as one of backend storage,  it supports
other storage such as RocksDB, Cassandra, HBase, MySQL.
HugeGraph made lots of improvements on solving the Graph problems of
storage, querying, indexing and sorting.
HugeGraph uses RocksDB as the default storage engine (billion-scale
graph scenarios deliver hundreds of thousands of reads and writes per
second on SSD environments)

I think we can let Jermy, the leader of HugeGraph, answer the more
detailed questions.

Regards,

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang