Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org> on 2018/05/07 15:05:31 UTC

[PROPOSAL] C++17, gcc 7, and clang 5 for ATS 8.0.0

I would like to propose that we move to C++17 for ATS 8.0.0.  This would require us to move to gcc 7, clang 5, and icc 18 as minimum versions for C++17 support.

-Bryan

Re: [PROPOSAL] C++17, gcc 7, and clang 5 for ATS 8.0.0

Posted by Alan Carroll <so...@oath.com>.
+1

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

>>> Also, since we went to C++11 a while ago, we already had to give up on the
>>> CentOS6 native tool chain (so, for the last year or so, we’ve already
>>> required Devtoolset to be used). This
>>

>> Yeah, this seems fine to me.
>>

>>> change would force us to update to devtoolset-7 on RHEL platforms, and
>>> might make some older debian platforms impossible to support in any
>>> reasonable way (which I’m ok with).
>
> From what i gather, this would also mean a minimum of FreeBSD 12.0, or else, building from ports.
> Given that the target is 8.0, this seems quite fine.

As it turns out, FreeBSD11 has a clang-5.0 package already, which is what we’re now using on the CI, and it’s working fine.

Cheers,

— leif

Re: [PROPOSAL] C++17, gcc 7, and clang 5 for ATS 8.0.0

Posted by Chris Lemmons <al...@gmail.com>.
With all the benefits that come with 17, I think there's not a whole
lot of point looking backward on this one. There's enough OS support
that we can make it happen.

+1

Posted by Igor Galić <ig...@brainsware.at>.

> > > What does this move our minimum EL distro to? Can we still use 6?
> >

> > Also, since we went to C++11 a while ago, we already had to give up on the
> > CentOS6 native tool chain (so, for the last year or so, we’ve already
> > required Devtoolset to be used). This
>

> Yeah, this seems fine to me.
>

> > change would force us to update to devtoolset-7 on RHEL platforms, and
> > might make some older debian platforms impossible to support in any
> > reasonable way (which I’m ok with).

From what i gather, this would also mean a minimum of FreeBSD 12.0, or else, building from ports.
Given that the target is 8.0, this seems quite fine.

--
​​​​​​--

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 9:16 AM Alan Carroll
<so...@oath.com.invalid> wrote:

> We're already building on some platforms with C++17, so I don't think we'll
> need to do any code updates. The goal is to make future coding easier by
>
> 1) Removing string_view and ink_std_compat.h
> 2) Enable use of C++17 headers like string_view and file_system.
> 3) Have a single consistent C++ standard (instead of the 11/14/17/ mix).

So it sounds like there is some plan to unify under C++17 instead of just
allowing organic code growth. I can get on board with that.

Posted by Alan Carroll <so...@oath.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

> On May 7, 2018, at 4:10 PM, Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 9:07 AM Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I would like to propose that we move to C++17 for ATS 8.0.0.  This would
>> require us to move to gcc 7, clang 5, and icc 18 as minimum versions for
>> C++17 support.
>>

> What does this move our minimum EL distro to? Can we still use 6?

Also, since we went to C++11 a while ago, we already had to give up on the CentOS6 native tool chain (so, for the last year or so, we’ve already required Devtoolset to be used). This change would force us to update to devtoolset-7 on RHEL platforms, and might make some older debian platforms impossible to support in any reasonable way (which I’m ok with).

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.