Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com> on 2010/12/17 10:11:07 UTC

Disable transform_libtool_scripts.py by default?

Martin Furter <mf...@rola.ch> writes:

> I again fell over transform_libtool_scripts.sh on solaris.

Can you tell me what went wrong?

As far as I know the libtool transformation is only needed for one
thing: to run the executables from within the build directory when using
the apr_dso_load modules i.e. the option --enable-runtime-module-search
or the kwallet/gnome-keyring stuff.  For a simple build/test/install it
should not be necessary.

I'd like to disable libtool transformation by default, i.e. make
--disable-local-library-preloading the default.  The script messes with
the internals of libtool and so runs the risk of breaking the build,
particularly on less common platforms.

--
Philip

Re: Disable transform_libtool_scripts.py by default?

Posted by Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <ar...@gmail.com>.
2010-12-22 15:57:02 Philip Martin napisał(a):
> Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com> writes:
>
> > I'd like to disable libtool transformation by default, i.e. make
> > --disable-local-library-preloading the default.  The script messes with
> > the internals of libtool and so runs the risk of breaking the build,
> > particularly on less common platforms.
>
> I've made this change in r1051931.  Another effect of the libtool
> transformation script, on my Linux machine at least, is that it causes
> the install process to install the binaries as libtool scripts rather
> than directly as ELF executables.

I have fixed this regression in r1087779.

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

Re: Disable transform_libtool_scripts.py by default?

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 4:11 AM, Philip Martin
<ph...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> Martin Furter <mf...@rola.ch> writes:
>
>> I again fell over transform_libtool_scripts.sh on solaris.
>
> Can you tell me what went wrong?
>
> As far as I know the libtool transformation is only needed for one
> thing: to run the executables from within the build directory when using
> the apr_dso_load modules i.e. the option --enable-runtime-module-search
> or the kwallet/gnome-keyring stuff.  For a simple build/test/install it
> should not be necessary.
>
> I'd like to disable libtool transformation by default, i.e. make
> --disable-local-library-preloading the default.  The script messes with
> the internals of libtool and so runs the risk of breaking the build,
> particularly on less common platforms.

+1

I've found that it chokes on C++ binaries on the object-model branch.

-Hyrum

Re: Disable transform_libtool_scripts.py by default?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:11:07AM +0000, Philip Martin wrote:
> I'd like to disable libtool transformation by default, i.e. make
> --disable-local-library-preloading the default.  The script messes with
> the internals of libtool and so runs the risk of breaking the build,
> particularly on less common platforms.

+1

If it's not needed by everybody, those who need it should explicitly
enable it.