Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com> on 2019/07/02 10:50:21 UTC

UIMA v3 at GitHub

Hi,

I was asked if it is possible to have UIMA v3 versions on GitHub,
especially uimaj-core.

Are there opinions or blockers?

Best,

Peter

--
Dr. Peter Klügl
R&D Text Mining/Machine Learning

Averbis GmbH
Salzstr. 15
79098 Freiburg
Germany

Fon: +49 761 708 394 0
Fax: +49 761 708 394 10
Email: peter.kluegl@averbis.com
Web: https://averbis.com

Headquarters: Freiburg im Breisgau

Re: UIMA v3 at GitHub

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Am 03.07.2019 um 14:34 schrieb Marshall Schor:
> hmmm, interesting. I wonder if we should use this as the tipping point to
> convert over to github @ apache as the "main" source repo, like what uimaFIT has
> done?

+1

Peter

Re: UIMA v3 at GitHub

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 3. Jul 2019, at 14:34, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:

> hmmm, interesting. I wonder if we should use this as the tipping point to
> convert over to github @ apache as the "main" source repo, like what uimaFIT has
> done?

+1

> Also, I wonder what might break and/or need adjusting if we do this.  Anyone
> have a "list" of things to consider / do / think about, when doing these changes?

Puh... from the top of my head:

- arrange the SVN in the desired branch structure so it gets synced to the GH
  mirror in the desired form
- tell INFRA to make the GH repo writable and to protect the SCM
- tell INFRA how to configure the GH repo, in particular
  - trigger Jenkins builds
  - protect key branches against force pushes
- add some configuration files to the repo, to allow GitHub to bring up
  contribution guidelines and to have PR template(s), also .gitignore files
- update Jenkins builds
- update any documentation which refers to using the SVN
- update the SCM info in the POMs so the releases get properly tagged

Since we have Linux/OS X and Windows contributors, extra configuration might
be necessary to get a sane handling of line endings. Eventually, adding
checkstyle to our builds would be a good thing here as well, but that is
a different story.

IMHO the main friction will be in the heads of those who haven't
used git too much yet. In particular, I think that working extensively
with branches will seem unnecessary and annoying at first and one will
feel like having to jump through extra hoops that we not there before.
It might take a moment for this feeling to pass.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: UIMA v3 at GitHub

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: UIMA v3 at GitHub

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Am 02.07.2019 um 12:53 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
> I would prefer if we do not have different repos for v2 and v3. Rather,
> we should have one repo (mirror) on GitHub and master should be either
> v2 or v3 and the respective other should be a suitably named branch
> (e.g. 2.10.x or 3.0.x).

+1

Peter

Re: UIMA v3 at GitHub

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 2. Jul 2019, at 12:50, Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com> wrote:

> I was asked if it is possible to have UIMA v3 versions on GitHub,
> especially uimaj-core.
>

> Are there opinions or blockers?

If the v3 branches would be moved in SVN into the "branches" folder of the
"main line", then they would probably automatically show up as branches
on the GitHub mirror of uimaj.