Posted to users@trafficcontrol.apache.org by ocket 8888 <oc...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/08 15:09:40 UTC

Proposal: Remove "Spec" wiki pages

Two of these three pages have blueprint equivalents:

- Cache-Side Config Generation can be a link to
https://github.com/apache/trafficcontrol/blob/master/blueprints/ort-rewrite-unix-style.md
- Layered Profiles can be a link to
https://github.com/apache/trafficcontrol/pull/6095 (possibly updated to
https://github.com/apache/trafficcontrol/blob/master/blueprints/layered-profile.md
if/when merged)

Self-Service Change Integrity is a bit harder. It's not only just not
already a blueprint, but the information in the page arguably accounts for
more than ought to be covered by a single blueprint. Ideally, each of the
three changes the page argues for should, in my opinion, be its own
blueprint. What I propose, therefore, is doing exactly that. Opening three
blueprint PRs to account for the page's contents. These need not be merged.

While I do volunteer to make the blueprints, that could be a little awkward
given that I am not the champion of the enclosed ideas, nor even
necessarily a proponent. The alternatives would be for someone who is one
or both of those things to open blueprint PRs instead (most recent change
was Rob Butts, so I'm guessing him) or we could instead move the spec
verbatim to the GH wiki, which I can also do fairly easily.

Personally, I think blueprints make the most sense, and if/when we begin
earnest discussion on their contents and it becomes clear I'm not up to the
task/don't have the time, someone who is/does can just open a new PR using
the blueprint(s) I write as a basis, and my PR can be closed. But the last
edit to that page was a year and a half ago, so it's possible that won't be
for a while, or even that people would prefer to start from scratch by the
time that happens.

Re: Proposal: Remove "Spec" wiki pages

Posted by ocket 8888 <oc...@gmail.com>.
Done