Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Kyle Richardson <ky...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/18 17:05:00 UTC

[DISCUSS] Parsing messages without IP addresses

All,

I've run into an edge case while working on METRON-363
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-363>. There are some log
events which do not contain IP addresses and thus cannot be fully
normalized into the standard Metron JSON fields.

What are folks thoughts on how to handle this situation? (Or how have you
handled it in other, existing parsers?) We could omit the fields, write
them out as nulls, or not continue processing the events at all.

I'm interested in your feedback. It seems to me that we would want all the
events to be indexed/persisted for long term archival; however, currently
enrichment relies heavily on IP addresses.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Kyle

Re: [DISCUSS] Parsing messages without IP addresses

Posted by Kyle Richardson <ky...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Casey. That's the piece I missed somewhere along the way. I was
looking for definitive guidance on the required fields.

That's right. The vast majority of ASA events contain the standard source
and destination address and port information. It's only very few that don't.

I'll move forward by simply not including those fields on those few message
types.

Thanks again,
Kyle

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.