Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2003/09/08 12:20:03 UTC

Re: Future build

Antonio Gallardo wrote:
<snip/>

> As was posted before, the nightly snapshots are finding his own end life.
> The cvs are superseed this type of distribution.

Did i miss something? Are the nightly snapshots going to be
discontinued? I searched cocoon-dev archives on MARC and could not
find relevant messages.

--David

Re: Future build

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. It is comfortable. :)
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^
Even though cocooning requires comfortable couches and plush pillows,
I'd rather say 'comforting' here, Antonio. ;-)

Cheers, and tnx of course,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Future build

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
David Crossley dijo:
> Careful, we might lose you in the archives. Yes we all get
> swamped with info and it is hard to check our facts.
>
> Do not worry if you send confused postings. This is the beauty
> of a kind opensource community. Someone will surely correct
> any misguided comments.
>
> Please do not try to do too much. We don't want people burning out.
> Anyway, thanks for everything that you do.

David:

Thanks for the reply. It is comfortable. :)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Future build

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> David Crossley dijo:
<snip/>

Re: Future build

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
David Crossley dijo:

Re: Future build

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Re: Future build

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Antonio Gallardo dijo:

Re: Future build

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
David Crossley dijo:

Re: Future build

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Upayavira wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> ><snip/>
> >
> >>As was posted before, the nightly snapshots are finding his own end life.
> >>The cvs are superseed this type of distribution.
> >
> >Did i miss something? Are the nightly snapshots going to be
> >discontinued? I searched cocoon-dev archives on MARC and could not
> >find relevant messages.

> I agree. And I would like to hear someone say why it is difficult to add
> zip archives to the nightly snapshots (as Jeff Ramsdale mentioned earlier).
>
> I know it is possible to access tgz from Windows, but I think that
> making zips available is a valid idea, given the level of automatic zip
> integration with modern[sic] Windows systems.
>
> Is it hard to add zip to the nightly snapshots? Is there a technical
> reason why we can't do it? After all, the more we do to encourage people
> to develop in/with Cocoon, the better.

If someone wants to pursue this, then they will need to
raise the issue on infrastructure@ mailing list.

Remember that it is an Apache-wide thing, not just Cocoon.

I searched a local archive of infrastructure@ and could not
find any reason (though i may have deleted it). I did find
an important message from Pier:
 Subject: mirroring, web pages, and disk space
 Date: 27 Oct 2002
which sets out "ASF Distribution and Archive Guidelines".
It definitely said both *.tar.gz and *.zip for snapshots.
I don't know what happened to that document - it did not
end up in the "infrastructure" CVS module.

Committers, you can ssh to www.apache.org to look for yourself.
I found reference to a script called "taritup" in the
"apmail" home directory.

By the way, i think that we need more explanation about our
(good) decision to go with source-only dist. I tweaked the
README for the dist/cocoon/ directory and linked to the
Wiki page "LatestRelease" (which also needs tweaking).

--David

Re: Future build

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Upayavira wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>> <snip/>
>>
>>> As was posted before, the nightly snapshots are finding his own end
>>> life.
>>> The cvs are superseed this type of distribution.
>>
>> Did i miss something? Are the nightly snapshots going to be
>> discontinued? I searched cocoon-dev archives on MARC and could not
>> find relevant messages.
>>
>> --David
>>
> I agree. And I would like to hear someone say why it is difficult to add
> zip archives to the nightly snapshots (as Jeff Ramsdale mentioned earlier).
>
> I know it is possible to access tgz from Windows, but I think that
> making zips available is a valid idea, given the level of automatic zip
> integration with modern[sic] Windows systems.
>
> Is it hard to add zip to the nightly snapshots? Is there a technical
> reason why we can't do it? After all, the more we do to encourage people
> to develop in/with Cocoon, the better.

I agree - it's a perception issue and we fight enough of that with the
loss of the binary dist.  Don't know enough about the snapshot process
to comment on what it would take.

Geoff

Re: Future build

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
David Crossley wrote:

>Antonio Gallardo wrote:
><snip/>
>

>>As was posted before, the nightly snapshots are finding his own end life.
>>The cvs are superseed this type of distribution.
>>

>Did i miss something? Are the nightly snapshots going to be
>discontinued? I searched cocoon-dev archives on MARC and could not
>find relevant messages.
>
>--David

I agree. And I would like to hear someone say why it is difficult to add
zip archives to the nightly snapshots (as Jeff Ramsdale mentioned earlier).

I know it is possible to access tgz from Windows, but I think that
making zips available is a valid idea, given the level of automatic zip
integration with modern[sic] Windows systems.

Is it hard to add zip to the nightly snapshots? Is there a technical
reason why we can't do it? After all, the more we do to encourage people
to develop in/with Cocoon, the better.

Regards, Upayavira