Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Sam Prokop <sp...@4tek.de> on 2002/05/14 16:40:16 UTC

Problem with SVG only Black & White

Hi all,

i´ve got some svg made by jfree-chart, they look nice in the
batik-browser, but if i render them with fop 0.20.3 to pdf they are just
black and white.

anyone any ideas?

thanks in anticipation

--
Sam

Marketing material : conving your manager

Posted by Patrick Andries <pa...@videotron.ca>.
We spoke earlier on this list of needing marketing material to convince
managers about the virtues of XSLFO.

I have found this description of a Gartner Note which is positive (I may
not disclose content).

Cost of full note $95.
http://www3.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?id=348967&acsFlg=accessCanBuy

FT-14-7235
Rita Knox

Gartner FirstTake

New Style Language Makes Reformatting XML Content Easier

The new Extensible Stylesheet Language can save time and money since it
eliminates the
need for those using XML to reformat the same content multiple times.
Event: On 16 October 2001, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) issued
Extensible Stylesheet
Language (XSL) 1.0 as a W3C recommendation for specifying how Extensible
Markup Language (XML)
documents may be formatted. W3C recommendation status indicates that a
specification is stable,
contributes to Web interoperability and has been reviewed by W3C
members, who favor its widespread
adoption.

First Take: Four years in the making, XSL elevates style to the
prominence of content, making XSL the
companion "sizzle" to XML's "steak" since XML provides no presentation
capabilities in its specification.
XSL defines "formatting objects" to control how XML-defined components
are to map to presentation
styles for paper, auditory or electronic channels. For example,
formatting objects on the Web can activate
pop-up windows, generate sounds or launch applications.

Here's how the W3C recommendation for XSL will likely enhance online
transactions and exchanges:

. Using XSL Transformation to transform structured XML documents, XSL
will permit output of
common content into many presentation formats -- e.g., paper, Web and audio.

. It will enable customization of content that facilitates branding,
user preferences, accessibility
(e.g., increase font size or convert to audio stream from visual
presentation). By enabling custom
presentation, XSL will marry with the XML content to form a union that
will improve user
understanding (since presentation is essential to communicating a
message that can be readily
received).

. Expect a host of new, XSL-enabled products to hit the market -- e.g.,
browsers, enterprise
portals, portal or user-facing application servers, publishing products
(e.g., office suite
applications, interactive graphical interfaces for financial analysis or
geographical maps), third-party
plug-ins or encapsulated instructions for different channels (e.g.,
audio and high-end
publishing).

. Users will likely rely less on HTML or XHTML documents with Cascading
Style Sheet (CSS)
capability. Use of CSS will likely persist among its installed base and
with enterprises that believe
that Web presentation is the be-all and end-all. For most, however, XSL
will provide broader
capabilities.

Enterprises should deploy a team of information designers to define
low-bandwidth style sheets for
multichannel output and publish them for enterprise use. The time
expended by users on formatting
documents and Web feeds can then be recovered to focus instead on
revenue-generating activities.

Re: Problem with SVG only Black & White

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Sam Prokop wrote:
> i´ve got some svg made by jfree-chart, they look nice in the
> batik-browser, but if i render them with fop 0.20.3 to pdf they are just
> black and white.

This hasn't come up before. As a wild guess check
whether your SVG contains transparent stuff or
certain other shading effects, FOP can't render them
properly into PDF. Apart from this, I'd have to resort
to mind reading, which I'm very bad at, unless you
post your SVG code. It would be nice if you trimmed it
down as much as possible. This may also reveal the
problem to you.

J.Pietschmann