Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arun Ponniah S <sa...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/03 23:32:49 UTC

[users@httpd] IP based Virtual hosts with SSL in a private network machine

Hello,
  I'm facing some problems, when configuring IP based virtual hosts in
a machine.

Info regarding the my machine and network settings are here,

My machine lies in a private network behind a firewall. The machine
has multiple local IPs (10.0.0.x) assigned to it on a single interface
using vlan configurations. I have two domain names,

www.a.com
www.b.com

these two domain names map to two different public IP addresses. And
in the firewall, these two public IPs are being NATed to my private
network IPs. So, the final mappings would be like,

www.a.com --> 74.52.63.x --> 10.0.0.2
www.b.com --> 74.52.63.y --> 10.0.0.3

I have to setup two different web apps in this machine, for these two
domain names with SSL support. This is what is in my apache httpd conf
file,

Note: Both my domain will use the same docroot, because my app will
take of showing different content depending on the domain name.

Listen 80
Listen 443

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName www.a.com
    ServerAlias www.b.com
    DocumentRoot "/home/user/docroot"

    ErrorLog logs/http_error_log
    CustomLog logs/http_access_log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 10.0.0.2:443>
    ServerName www.a.com
    DocumentRoot "/home/user/docroot"

    ErrorLog logs/https_error_log
    CustomLog logs/https_access_log combined
    CustomLog logs/ssl_request_log "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x
%{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"

    SSLEngine on
    SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
    SSLCertificateFile /home/user/ssl.crt/www.a.com.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /home/user/ssl.key/www.a.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 10.0.0.3:443>
    ServerName www.b.com
    DocumentRoot "/home/user/docroot"

    ErrorLog logs/https_error_log
    CustomLog logs/https_access_log combined
    CustomLog logs/ssl_request_log "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x
%{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"

    SSLEngine on
    SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
    SSLCertificateFile /home/user/ssl.crt/www.b.com.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /home/user/ssl.key/www.b.com
</VirtualHost>

When I hit the both the domain names with http, it works perfectly.
But, when I use hit either,
https://www.a.com/xxx or http://www.b.com/xxx, an alert appears
saying, "The connection to www.a/b.com has terminated unexpectedely.
Some data might have been transferred".

In the error logs I can see something like this,

[Thu Aug 03 16:25:35 2006] [error] [client 203.101.103.131] Invalid
method in request \x80g\x01\x03

I think, I'm doing something wrong in the Virtual Hosts
configurations. I'm not very clear on what should go into the
<VirtualHost xxx> tag, for the current situation (public IPs to
private IPs and all those stuffs).

Any help would be a great help for me. Thanks.

-- sap --

The harder and smarter you work,
the more luck you seem to have.

Blog : http://saponniah.blogspot.com/