Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/27 15:55:45 UTC

Re: MNG-3004/MNG-2802 - Achieving massive parallelity !

I have now come a long way towards implementing a massively concurrent
maven.  To whet some appetites before ifs/but/whens/problems come up:

Using 16 threads on my Intel i7, build time for my daytime project went
from 87 seconds to 19.7 seconds. An average of 500% CPU was consumed to
deliver this, as can be seen from this figure:

 http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6240/screenshotsystemmonitor.png

The bathtub in the middle of the graph is a full build.

A lot of the questions Dan Fabulich and others brought up in earlier
mails seem to be getting answers as the code speaks to me, and I'll try
to update the proposal with my tentative suggested solutions.

Although by no means finished, I invite others interested in the
"cause" to join. Contributing can be as easy as trying it out on your
project and reporting an issue. Please use this issue tracker
http://github.com/krosenvold/maven3/issues

Currently I'm only at the stage where I can run a "install" over a
pre-existing build, I have not even tried a "clean install"

Howto:

git clone git://github.com/krosenvold/maven3.git

.. build and set up....

mvn -Dmaven.weave.threads=16 install

2x number of cores seem like a nice number of threads. If you run with 1
thread it should be fairly similar to your current build. Failures with
threads=1 are *really* welcome ;)

Those wishing to try to find issues themselves are welcome; it all
starts out at DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java.

Kristian