Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/02 22:45:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] Supporting our users to be more involved with our project

Hello!

I love to see as we asking our users to be more involved with our project.

I would like to add the label "Contributor" or "Beginner" (or something
similar) to issues which are easy to be resolve (by interested
users/customers). We should not fix these issues so soon (unless it's an
urgent fix) to get the users/customers the chance to pick them up, adding a
comment that other knows they are working on this issue and providing a
patch for it. I could create a view in JIRA which lists all open issues with
this label and add a link from the contributing page [1] to this view. I
think then it is much more easier for our users/customers to "being more in
touch" with our project and evolve from a user to a contributor to ...

I know what this is for a great feeling to see its own (first) patch
committed, to add his name to the team page [2] later, ...

What do you think?

[1] http://camel.apache.org/contributing.html
[2] http://camel.apache.org/team.html

Best,
Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] Supporting our users to be more involved with our project

Posted by "E.Gherardini" <e....@hotmail.com>.
Hi,
I would personally love it, since I am willing to contribute.

I started developing a new component, but having also the change to join the
project resolving small tasks/issues (without the need to harass devs on
chat asking advices to avoid doing big mistakes...which I did indeed ;) )
would be lovely.

Re: [DISCUSS] Supporting our users to be more involved with our project

Posted by Zbarcea Hadrian <hz...@gmail.com>.
Christian, couldn't agree more! The best way for us to help is to add a few pointers and review patches and provide feedback.
We could probably use this process to improve the documentation as well. Contributions welcome!

Hadrian

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
FYI,

in Karaf and ServiceMix, we added the low-hanging-fruit Jira tag to
classify the Jira "easy" to fix.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Supporting our users to be more involved with our project

Posted by Taariq Levack <ta...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Supporting our users to be more involved with our project

Posted by "E.Gherardini" <e....@hotmail.com>.
Christian Mueller wrote:

> The "easy to resolve" issues have the Novices annotation.
> Dan created and shared the new JIRA view which is called "Camel-Novice"
> [1].
> I have linked this page from our contribution page [2].
>
> I hope our users/contributors will like it and are more easily involved.
>
> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12316782
> [2] http://camel.apache.org/contributing.html
>
> Best,
> Christian

Nice!

I will drill down them as soon as I find time from my "paid" work ;)

Thanks a lot!

Re: [DISCUSS] Supporting our users to be more involved with our project

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Christian Müller
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The "easy to resolve" issues have the Novices annotation.
> Dan created and shared the new JIRA view which is called "Camel-Novice" [1].
> I have linked this page from our contribution page [2].
>
> I hope our users/contributors will like it and are more easily involved.
>
> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12316782
> [2] http://camel.apache.org/contributing.html
>
> Best,
> Christian

Nice the contributing page is updated, and the link works with the new
"easy to resolve" issue JIRA page.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [DISCUSS] Supporting our users to be more involved with our project

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I created a new view in JIRA (Camel Outstanding Issues For Novices)
which I planned to share with all of you. Unfortunately I doesn't have the
right to share my view with all users. Who can help me here?
Afterwards I will update the contribute page.

In the next couple of days I plan to go through the older issues and check
whether we have some more issues for our Novices.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Good idea about the field in JIRA.

We should probably add some details about that in the contributing
page, which we refer people to, when they ask about how to contribute:

We should probably also encourage people to contribute with other kind
of material than source code patches. For example to help with
documentation, writing new examples, tutorials, better getting started
guides, blog posts, being active on the mailing list, help people on
stackoverflow or other 3rd party forums etc. Its all great
contributions.

For example we have JIRA tickets where we ask for help to for example
- at each EIP page, to ensure there is at least 1 Java DSL and 1 XML DSL example
That would be an excellent JIRA for people to help with. So far it has
been Ben and me that have contributed the most for this JIRA. But
would love more help from the community and others from the Camel
team.

Likewise we should in fact ensure that on each component page there is
an example as well in both Java DSL and XML DSL (if possible.).  I
think we may lack this in quite a few components. These last two
really helps with beginners and people who are getting started with a
new component, how to use it. I will log a JIRA about the component
examples, so we wont forget.

--
Claus Ibsen

Posted by Kutsal Kaan Bilgin <ku...@kutsalkaanbilgin.com>.
Hi Christian & everyone on the list,

Great idea. We are currently using Camel in the ESB implementation of a
large-scale project and loving it. Me and my senior teammate would love
to get involved with the internals of Camel and finally contribute back
to the community after receiving so much from it - we will be looking
forward to the minor issues you mentioned about.

Thanks,
Kutsal